fossilized coral / jewelry quality

Seadog72

Mar 29, 2014
Stewart County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know what condition fossilized coral would have to be in for use as jewelry? My dad lives on the west coast and he makes jewelry. I'd like to send him some coral but don't want to send him junk. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• petrified coral_1.jpeg
    petrified coral_1.jpeg
    706.7 KB · Views: 122
  • petrified coral_2.jpeg
    petrified coral_2.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 113
I have several pounds of gem/jewelry grade Agatized coral...
it has been hand picked by me...
It is a 30+ year collection...
And is no longer found in the area ... a lot of full clear branches... which is what I like...
would sell SOME if interested.
Perfect for serious lapidary saw and polish for beautiful unusual one of a kind jewelry pieces.

I'd love to see the probable geode in the first photo..I know that much.
It will depend on what is being done and what type and size jewelry is being made..but you will probably want to be sure it is a good size piece completely agatized.
Pinhead coral is prized as well as pieces with nicely visible polyps.

Inyo, thanks. There's just so many grades of agatized coral, or agatized anything I guess. I thought there would be more jewelry buffs on this site. Lost art I suppose.

Thanks, GatorBoy - helpful as always. I brought several samples home, it was tough getting them through customs but maybe he'll be able to tinker around with them. I just didn't want to bring home any junk + risk getting jailed for junk.

Man, those are great!! What's better, beautiful point or the weather in FL? Nice lanai btw

Ha..thanks it helps keep the pool clean

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back