What's new

Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,020
Reaction score
28,179
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Headed back to my favourite 1880 school site today to have another go at it. :thumbsup: A couple of months ago I remember speaking to a long time resident who lives around the corner from the site telling me, "that the hills behind the school use to be wide open, but are now overgrown with 40 year old trees." So I decided to give the woods a shot to see if there was anything interesting and man am I glad I did! :D

My first find was the huge mushroom growing out of the side of a pine tree, it was as large as a basketball! :o My next find was an old handheld bell, unfortunately it's only 75% complete . . . possibly the original school bell to call the kids into class? :icon_scratch: Next I found the silver-plated spoon (interesting makers marks, I'll have to do some research on them), I then found the 1916 Barber Dime! :D I still can't believe all these American silver coins I keep finding, but I'm not complaining! :laughing7: Next I found the old sterling silver ring, very pretty with a flower design. Looks to date from the 1930's or 40's (please correct me if I'm wrong in my date estimation :wink:).

Thanks for looking and have a great long weekend! :icon_thumright:
Dave
 

Attachments

  • Myrtle School.webp
    Myrtle School.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 689
  • Sept 4 003.webp
    Sept 4 003.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 783
  • Sept 4 004.webp
    Sept 4 004.webp
    79.9 KB · Views: 676
  • Sept 4 005.webp
    Sept 4 005.webp
    69.8 KB · Views: 674
  • Sept 4 006.webp
    Sept 4 006.webp
    92.6 KB · Views: 685
  • Sept 4 007.webp
    Sept 4 007.webp
    96.4 KB · Views: 662
  • Sept 4 009.webp
    Sept 4 009.webp
    89 KB · Views: 667
  • Sept 4 008.webp
    Sept 4 008.webp
    115.6 KB · Views: 673
  • Myrtle School.webp
    Myrtle School.webp
    17.1 KB · Views: 683
Upvote 0
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

More pics!
 

Attachments

  • Sept 4 010.webp
    Sept 4 010.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 636
  • Sept 4 015.webp
    Sept 4 015.webp
    13.6 KB · Views: 661
  • Sept 4 016.webp
    Sept 4 016.webp
    14.2 KB · Views: 648
  • Sept 4 017.webp
    Sept 4 017.webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 648
  • After Cleaning Sept 4 012.webp
    After Cleaning Sept 4 012.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 679
  • Before Cleaning Sept 4 011.webp
    Before Cleaning Sept 4 011.webp
    21.8 KB · Views: 662
  • Sept 4 001.webp
    Sept 4 001.webp
    95.5 KB · Views: 656
  • Sept 4 002.webp
    Sept 4 002.webp
    103.8 KB · Views: 667
  • Sept 4 013.webp
    Sept 4 013.webp
    32.6 KB · Views: 640
  • Sept 4 014.webp
    Sept 4 014.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 660
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Great finds ya got there. How is it you find more U.S. silver than I do and you live in Canada? Haha! Congrats!

Matt
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

misplacedrednek said:
Great finds ya got there. How is it you find more U.S. silver than I do and you live in Canada? Haha! Congrats!

Matt

I have know idea Matt! :laughing7:
No complaints here though man! :D
Dave
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Just think of all the children who heard that bell back in the day..

Nice coin and i really like that ring :hello2:


Blaze
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

johnnyblaze said:
Just think of all the children who heard that bell back in the day..

Nice coin and i really like that ring :hello2:


Blaze

I was thinking the exact same thing when I found it Johnny! :thumbsup:
I truly wish it wasn't broken though! :'(

The rings a real beauty . . . any thoughts on the age?
Dave
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Nice hunt!! :icon_thumright: Keep it up!
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Absolutely SWEET hunt! :icon_thumleft: The ring is beautiful, but my fav is the school bell. Not to be telling my age*, but when I went to grammar school, the principal would come out on the porch each morning and ring a bell very similar to yours. From what I can remember, it had a black wooden handle.

* A woman who tells her age, will tell anything.---Mae West

;D Breezie
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

JW15 said:
Nice hunt!! :icon_thumright: Keep it up!

Thanks JW, best of luck to you! :icon_thumright:
Dave

Breezie said:
Absolutely SWEET hunt! :icon_thumleft: The ring is beautiful, but my fav is the school bell. Not to be telling my age*, but when I went to grammar school, the principal would come out on the porch each morning and ring a bell very similar to that one.

* A woman who tells her age, will tell anything.---Mae West

;D Breezie

Thanks for the "history lesson" Breezie! :D
I can only assume it was the one of the original school bells, the bell isn't marked and still has some of the original wood handle attached. I'm thinking the area I found it in might have been a dumpsite at the back of the school, though I did find it below an old cedar tree. :icon_scratch:

Congrats again on your Slave Bracelet making the BANNER! :hello2:

Dave
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

found that exact style sterling ring back in july with the same sterling print and makers mark. Mine has initials and a year in it though 1950. So it's at least that old maybe?
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Nice..........very nice!
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Pretty consistent on the goodies lately ;D
A while back I dug a similar bell out of the mud near an 1800s school,
had the same thought of student tossing it away :laughing7:
Your mushroom is a 'Common Puffball', rated edible and choice.
It's one of the varieties that would be difficult to mistake for a dangerous species.
eventually it will dry and start puffing spores, like this different species:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steelheadwill/3855811258/in/photostream
Great Digs! Keep em comin :thumbsup:
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Nice finds :icon_thumleft: that ring sure looks old shinned up good , that bell reminded me right away of a TV show back in the late 1950,s Ding Dong School with Miss Francis she had a bell at each show opening just like the one you found :laughing7: Good digs :thumbsup: Jim
 

Attachments

  • Ding_Dong_School.webp
    Ding_Dong_School.webp
    7.2 KB · Views: 501
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

underarock said:
found that exact style sterling ring back in july with the same sterling print and makers mark. Mine has initials and a year in it though 1950. So it's at least that old maybe?

That's very interesting underarock :o . . . would you be able to post a picture of the ring and the maker's mark for comparison? Good to know that my ring is at least 1950, stylistically I felt it had to be pretty old. :icon_scratch:
Thanks,
Dave

Roland58 said:
Nice..........very nice!

Thanks Roland! ;D

steelheadwill said:
Pretty consistent on the goodies lately ;D
A while back I dug a similar bell out of the mud near an 1800s school,
had the same thought of student tossing it away :laughing7:
Your mushroom is a 'Common Puffball', rated edible and choice.
It's one of the varieties that would be difficult to mistake for a dangerous species.
eventually it will dry and start puffing spores, like this different species:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steelheadwill/3855811258/in/photostream
Great Digs! Keep em comin :thumbsup:

Morning Herbie :hello: I checked out your puffball Flicker photo, very cool, I sure don't want to be around when my mushroom "puffs"! :laughing7: I looked at all of your Flicker photos as well, you take some really great pics buddy! :notworthy: Morris sure is a great hunter!

Hope you and Laurie are having a relaxing weekend! :thumbsup:
Dave

Deepdiger60 said:
Nice finds :icon_thumleft: that ring sure looks old shinned up good , that bell reminded me right away of a TV show back in the late 1950,s Ding Dong School with Miss Francis she had a bell at each show opening just like the one you found :laughing7: Good digs :thumbsup: Jim

Thanks for your post Deepdiger60! :icon_thumright: As Breezie already mentioned, I guess years ago the use of the "bell" was the norm for calling the kids back to school following recess or lunch. Even I remember the teachers using a hand bell at our grammar school when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's.

HH,
Dave
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Thanks Dave, you inspired me to look through Flickr again, It's been a while....
I used to fish and take photos before I started detecting.
My last flickr posts coincide with the date I got my first detector :icon_scratch:
Best to you and yours! HH :thumbsup:
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Great finds Dave ! That sterling ring is a beauty :o . You are probably right about the age , looks 1930's . Keep those great hunts coming !!!
Glen
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

Congrats Dave, I actually dug one of those 1916 Barbers today at my CW site...must've come from subsequent vistors. Nice job, great photos :icon_thumleft: :wink:
 
Re: Found a 1916 Barber Dime & an old Sterling Silver Ring!

great finds. love the ring :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom