Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    829.6 KB · Views: 506
Upvote 8
I see what yal mean... I still might have it looked at where do I bring it?

Looks like a 1943 copper Lincoln Penny to me. Most of the 1943 copper pennys will be found from St. Louis and down the Mississippi River. I would say it is genuine.

I was never able to see a mint mark because of the shape

What I would ask, is how many people here, (especially of those who are poo-pooing it being a "REAL" 1943 Copper penny), have ever SEEN a copper penny for 1943 or much less, found one!?!? EVEN if this is a period counterfeit, how many of those have EVER been posted here?

Lpetite evidently did NOT try to make it just to "get one over" on anyone here! I say, this would be near banner worthy, on just what it represents! The chance, that even something this rare just MIGHT be in the ground, waiting for a single penny hit to be dug. THAT, alone makes this a very worthy penny.

Congrats Lpetite !! On a VERY interesting find!

Very interesting find. At first look, I saw 1947. But closer inspection reveals a possible 3. Perhaps the corrosion did this and it's not a counterfeit. But perhaps it's the real deal as well. I agree with the others that say get it looked at by a professional. Even in that shape, you would be the proud owner of an extremely valuable coin.

Good luck and keep us posted. Remember the excitement you felt, that's what it's all about...... Even if it's a 47.

One of the most fascinating finds in a long time, I'm looking forward to what you hear from the experts. After spending ten minutes comparing your image to the ones online, my personal opinion is that you have a 1947 with some cruelly-placed corrosion. Good luck.

I don't know... it is a toss up between a 3 or a 5... ?

The more I look at it the more my eyes play tricks on me! I'm headed to a expert in Baton Rouge now and I will keep yal updated

Could be the crust but something about the 3 doesn't look right. Especially the top of the 3! 🤔

If you truly believe it is a 1943 copper cent, then have it authenticated by a reputable grading service. Doing this will get you a definitive answer. Whether genuine or counterfeit, you will still have a winner.

What I would ask, is how many people here, (especially of those who are poo-pooing it being a "REAL" 1943 Copper penny), have ever SEEN a copper penny for 1943 or much less, found one!?!? EVEN if this is a period counterfeit, how many of those have EVER been posted here?

Lpetite evidently did NOT try to make it just to "get one over" on anyone here! I say, this would be near banner worthy, on just what it represents! The chance, that even something this rare just MIGHT be in the ground, waiting for a single penny hit to be dug. THAT, alone makes this a very worthy penny.

Congrats Lpetite !! On a VERY interesting find!

As far as "seen" goes...I just found 5 images online. Lots of counterfeit coins are found in the ground right?

Looks like mine i found but mine is to far pitted to be sure , i am willing to bet it is a 1945 , bu who knows , happy huntin

Mr Skippy, logic tells me that Whadifind said "near" not "was" a banner find. Lpetite is asking for opinions, advice and further knowledge of his treasure. I'm not an "expert" but I will say congrats to Lpetite for such an exceptional and unusual find!

Last edited:
Hi; The 1943 Penny in that condition is valued between $20K - $30K. Ones in better condition go for $45K ok. Suggestion is to send it to PCGS and have it Certified. That will remove any and ALL doubts from anyone ok. Yes, PCGS can get a bit pricey but if your coin is the real thing then it is worth every penny ok. The least it will cost is about $25 if it turns out bogus ok. Let us know the results. Thanks. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

The more I look at it the more my eyes play tricks on me! I'm headed to a expert in Baton Rouge now and I will keep yal updated

Are you back yet? I can't stand the suspense!

Here is a real one that sold for
$1 Million To Bill Simpson, Texas Rangers' Co-Owner.​
o-BRONZE-CENT-facebook.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back