Found a Cache with pics

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody!! I got out for a few hours and wasn't having too much luck. Went to a local community center that used to be a school. It was built in 1922. I have found silver there in the past and also a 1933 Italian 10 cent piece. I stayed there for about and hour and a half having only found a few clad coins. I went aroud to the right side of the building and was detecting a gravel driveway and got a good coin signal. I dug out a plug and there were 6 pennies stair-stacked together. I thought well someone must have dumped there pocket here. So I rechecked the area and got another good signal. It was another penny. Evereytime I rechecked after digging I would find more and more coins, all pennies. These were not in one hole but were in virtually a straight line about 3 feet long. All were about 3-4 inches down. I don't know for sure but I think they were all lost or buried together and then spread out somehow. The oldest is a 1968D and the newest was a 1984. There were a total of 27 pennies in this "cache". I know this is only pennies but it makes me wander who put them there and why and as much of a thrill as it was recovering this "cache" I can only imagine what finding a real one with valuable coins would be like. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• 100_0161.jpg
    100_0161.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,182
  • 100_0163.jpg
    100_0163.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1,180
  • 100_0167.jpg
    100_0167.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,185
Upvote 0
Way to go :thumbsup: I know the filling on a cache but mine where tokens about 20 of them. At least you had fun HH

Nice finds, looks like a great area to detect. Who knows how things get to be the way they get! :dontknow:

Chris

Great cache or big pocket spill. I think of a cache as hidden money in a jar or something.

SKD

I know what you were going through. When I first got my MD I went out in my back yard and found 342 Lincoln cents in a 3' by 5' area. I was so excited. I went in to share my "treasure find" with my wife and she just scoffed and said now you only need to find 85,000 more to pay for that dang thing! >:(

HH,
Fisher

Captain Loosechange said:
Evereytime I rechecked after digging I would find more and more coins, all pennies. These were not in one hole but were in virtually a straight line about 3 feet long. All were about 3-4 inches down. I don't know for sure but I think they were all lost or buried together and then spread out somehow. [/quot
Captain Loosechange said:
You have lived a recurring dream of mine, since I was a kid, a couple or more years ago ;D
Mike

That same scenario would be awesome with barbers wouldn't it?...

Good for you. I went hunting this weekend but only found a cache of trash. No matter, it was a 65 deg day and was great just being outside.

Back in the past, it was common practice in the 30's and 40's when building a new building people would place a penny in or near the foundation for good luck......seeing how this is a community center, several people probably pulled a penny from their pocket and pitched them in the hole for good luck before building the community center either before or after the ground breaking ceremonies. I think thats why you found them where you did in the manner they were found...
thats just my 2 cents....worth.

on the other hand congrats on the find .... good luck and HH

db

Darn gumball machines don't take 'em anymore.

Good patience!

vwayne1 said:
WOW! thats an awfully big digger for a lawn. Good job on the spill recovery.
Yeah I use a smaller one on the grassy areas of this place but theses coins were in a gravel driveway and called for the big guns ha/ha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back