Found a little color in my pan

penster

Sep 3, 2012
CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Decided to take a walk in the woods today, in an area that I know had glacial activity, with enough bedrock to make you cry. I took a 2 mile walk and went to the area that the bed rock slopes toward a glacial lake. This particular area of bedrock is loaded with garnets. Also some shiny black crystals, but lighter in wt than garnet in the pan. I found a nice deep crevice, pulled off the mossy layer and started digging with my hand tools. I brought back about a gallon of very heavy black soil. I tried to pick out most of the larger rocks. I worked several pans, and I got my pan down to the heavies. Lots of garnets, but right away I was able to spot a couple of pieces of color when I swirled the pan to keep the heavy sands on the upper edge. Used the tip of a toothpick to get them out. There is smaller color scattered, but I don't have a blue bowl, etc to get that out. It was fun to get out and fun to get a little color.

Also found a very cool rock. Some sort of volcanic (guessing from the melted-looking outer edge) rock with garnets, a layer of quartz with what looks like maybe pyrite, an area of those black crystals, then a layer of granite(?). It's neat looking, but I'm contemplating busting it open to look for gold. It's funny, because it was the only one like it in the area, although there are quartz veins running through the bedrock everywhere you walk.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back