Found a silver today in suburban Chicago....

perdidogringo

Apr 21, 2011
El Dorado
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some semi-interesting history today while metal detecting in Crook County; At an old farmer's homestead that was around from about 1890 to 1980. Note: I am intentionally going to spare you a photo of the mound of beer cans, can slaw, bits of unidentifiable metal, and other junk. lol
1. The first relic I found was an old toy car with the 4 rubber wheels still attached.
2. I was thrilled when a silver Standing Liberty Quarter popped out of the ground (unfortunately, the date has worn off). Find of the day!
3. An old Golden Delicious Apples tree tag from Stark Bro's of Louisiana, Missouri (https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Stark_Brothers_Nurseries_and...). I love the prosecution warning on the reverse side!
4. An older zipper with "YKK" on it, which seems to be a Japanese zipper manufacturer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YKK) still around today.
5. My last find is a mystery find (the item on the far right on the photos below), that maybe others here can help with? - At first, I thought it was an unspent bullet case but then I washed it with water and I thought it was an old lipstick case (it won't open but rattles when you shake it). Seems to be made of brass. I have no idea what it is so would appreciate some feedback. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 76
Upvote 25
SLQ's are my favorite coin - congrats !
The earlier Type 1 SLQ's had raised Pedestal dates - the dates are almost always worn off.
Thanks! This is my first sliver in the U.S. (I've found many outside the U.S. as I've lived abroad for many years)- so sort of excited. Hopefully, it leads to more but so hard to find places to hunt with decent potential in Illinois.

Congratulations on the recoveries.
The Silver SLQ is nice, though I'm liking the car and apple tag as well.

SLQ's are my favorite coin - congrats !
The earlier Type 1 SLQ's had raised Pedestal dates - the dates are almost always worn off.
The late 1917 through 1924 type 2's were also prone to worn-off dates. Starting in 1925 they have the recessed dates, which helped a bit.

The mystery tube might be a match safe.

The late 1917 through 1924 type 2's were also prone to worn-off dates. Starting in 1925 they have the recessed dates, which helped a bit.
Your right cudamark - I forgot that there were actually (3) different variations of the SLQ's.

I found some semi-interesting history today while metal detecting in Crook County; At an old farmer's homestead that was around from about 1890 to 1980. Note: I am intentionally going to spare you a photo of the mound of beer cans, can slaw, bits of unidentifiable metal, and other junk. lol
1. The first relic I found was an old toy car with the 4 rubber wheels still attached.
2. I was thrilled when a silver Standing Liberty Quarter popped out of the ground (unfortunately, the date has worn off). Find of the day!
3. An old Golden Delicious Apples tree tag from Stark Bro's of Louisiana, Missouri (https://en.wikipedia.org/.../Stark_Brothers_Nurseries_and...). I love the prosecution warning on the reverse side!
4. An older zipper with "YKK" on it, which seems to be a Japanese zipper manufacturer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YKK) still around today.
5. My last find is a mystery find (the item on the far right on the photos below), that maybe others here can help with? - At first, I thought it was an unspent bullet case but then I washed it with water and I thought it was an old lipstick case (it won't open but rattles when you shake it). Seems to be made of brass. I have no idea what it is so would appreciate some feedback. Thanks for looking!
Very Nice!!!! Congrats!!!!

Great job on that SLQ.
I think Lenrac2 nailed the ID on the tube. 👍
MM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back