Found a sterling ring at an old school site.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to the site an old school sat on. Found an interesting ring marked sterling. I love finding stuff I can learn more about. It was a mail order ring from Johnson Smith & Co who were in business from 1914 to 2019. It made me a little sad to see them marketing to the sufferers of the Great Depression. We didn't stay long but Bob also found an aluminum pencil sharpener. Might go back.

Attachments

• 20240405_164424.jpg
    20240405_164424.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_20240406_075419_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_075419_Google.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20240406_075218_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240406_075218_eBay.jpg
    494.9 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 24

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find. I remember when I was in middle school back in the mid 70s getting together with a few friends and ordering some cheesy gag items from that company. X-ray glasses and rubber chickens and whatnot. LOL

Last edited:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find !

Yes, I agree - I'm mainly a Coin hunter but ...
Relics can be more interesting because sometimes you can learn about their history.
It's interesting to research the who, when and where of old Tokens, Jewelry, Crotal Bells, etc.

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ (Down Under)
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
AlgoForce E1500
Went to the site an old school sat on. Found an interesting ring marked sterling. I love finding stuff I can learn more about. It was a mail order ring from Johnson Smith & Co who were in business from 1914 to 2019. It made me a little sad to see them marketing to the sufferers of the Great Depression. We didn't stay long but Bob also found an aluminum pencil sharpener. Might go back.
Thats an interesting find and info on it. πŸ‘

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find and interesting story behind it. I'm thinking the believe in luck and having something to increase it's odds will always be in the minds of many.
Thinking I should start wearing it when we're detecting! πŸ˜„

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cool find. I remember when I was in middle school back in the mid 70s getting together with a few friends and ordering some cheesy gag items from that company. X-ray glasses and rubber chickens and whatnot. LOL
Me too! I remember getting the gum that snaps when someone takes the stick!

OP
OP
L

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find !

Yes, I agree - I'm mainly a Coin hunter but ...
Relics can be more interesting because sometimes you can learn about their history.
It's interesting to research the who, when and where of old Tokens, Jewelry, Crotal Bells, etc.
That is one of my favorite parts of this hobby! Really gives you insight into the people and area.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thinking I should start wearing it when we're detecting! πŸ˜„
Why not, I used to have a lucky rabbits foot attached to the belt loop of my blue jeans. I was maybe 8 years old and lot of kids had one. You got them at the five & dime and they were died in different colors.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember those ads in the comic books. I always wanted a pair of those "x-ray" glasses. I remember the ad showing that you could see a young ladies clothing. LMAO! Now that I'm older I realize that I wouldn't want to see through 90% of peoples clothing. :tongue3: Thanks for the memories. Don't forget to order those Sea Monkeys. :icon_thumright:
MM

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find. :icon_thumright: Thanks for this post and learning experience.
MM

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice recovery on the sterling ring & the advertising pages. Congrats πŸ‘

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember those ads in the comic books. I always wanted a pair of those "x-ray" glasses. I remember the ad showing that you could see a young ladies clothing. LMAO! Now that I'm older I realize that I wouldn't want to see through 90% of peoples clothing. :tongue3: Thanks for the memories. Don't forget to order those Sea Monkeys. :icon_thumright:
MM
Always saw the ads. Never had the $$$ to buy them.
I think it was also the fear of ordering, mother opening the parcel, then getting a good slap on the back of the head. 🀣

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread