Found an untouched Union Camp

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On April 29, 1865, The Army of the Tennessee 17th Corps left its camps in Raleigh and marched toward Washington D.C. for the " Grand Review". After years of war, endless battles and marches they were headed north to be reviewed and mustered out of the Army. The men of the 17th Corps marched about 12 miles and camped for two nights before resuming the "Final March". I was fortunate after months of research to locate the campsite of some of these men. The site lay undisturbed for 146 years. After pouring over historic maps, reading soldiers diaries and other accounts in the " Official Records of The War of the Rebellion", The final clue fell into place when I met Doug AKA "Modern Miner" from whom I purchased a metal detector on Craigslist. "MM" was wildly enthusiastic about relic hunting and one of the nicest people I've ever met. Turns out he had been relic hunting with much success just up the road from my home and quite near this site. It was his info on the possible location of and old road that started me pinpoint the area of the camp.

The first day out after work with daylight running short, I fired up the AT PRO and started seaching. Very soon at the base of a huge Sycamore tree I located four .58 caliber three ringers and a General Service button. Darkness soon came and I was forced to leave. Returning the next day, I began to locate more Minnie balls, melted lead and various iron objects. Very exited I left and returned the next day around 3:00 pm. To my dismay I noticed freshly dug holes that had not been filled back in. It became apparent that someone had seen my truck parked beside the road and on the previous hunts and had now "discovered" the camp. Somewhat deflated, I continued to hunt and found more relics. I went home that night and told the wife that the spot had been discovered and soon would be overun by detectorist so I needed to hit the camp every chance I could in the coming days.

Thankfully I have a very understanding wife! I went back to the site the next morning early and sure enough came upon two uninvited "guests" detecting the camp. These were "veteran" reilic hunters using "high dollar" detectors. Undeterred I went about my business hunting relics. I pulled in many more bullets including three intact, unfired .44 Henry cartridges. After these fellows left, I moved over to where they had been detecting and starting swinging the coil. The first signal on that spot they had scoured with much more advanced machines, yeilded an very nice Eagle Breastplate. I was pumped to say the least. I lightly brushed the plate off, put it in the pouch and kept swinging. The very next signal not more than 50' away, was a real "head banger" and nearly knock my headphones off. The VDI read 88-90. I knelt and carefully dug away the soil. I nearly fell over backward when I pulled a very nice Eagle sword belt plate. The next day I was unable to hunt he site due to work obligations. I did notice however, that he other relic hunters were back on the site. At this point I remembered Doug and his kindness, so I called him and told him to get his butt over while the getting was still good. I met Doug at the site in the next day or so and we hunted along side a growing number of new hunters, Yep, word travels fast!

Check out the Pics below. Doug has already posted his finds earlier. My finds include: 200 Minnie Balls, Eagle Breast Plate, Eagle Sword Belt Plate, Eagle Button, 3 Knapsack Hooks, One 1838 Large Cent, Three 1859 IH Pennies, 3 intact Henry Cartidges, Large Flat Button ("Best Plated"), 2 knapsack Buckles, several "carved Bullets, Several Chewed Bullets (Critter Candy?), Sprinfield Rifle Nose Cap, tons of melted "Camp Lead", one Fork, several Hores Shoes.

Attachments

• IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,681
  • Copy of IMAG0638.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0638.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,409
  • Copy of IMAG0586.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0586.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 2,223
  • Copy of IMAG0699.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0699.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,231
  • Copy of IMAG0669.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0669.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2,217
  • IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,677
  • IMAG0702.jpg
    IMAG0702.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,681
  • IMAG0705.jpg
    IMAG0705.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,591
  • IMAG0704.jpg
    IMAG0704.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,357
  • IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,305
  • Copy of IMAG0621.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0621.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,279
  • Copy of IMAG0676.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0676.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,220
  • Copy of IMAG0675.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0675.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,218
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Thunderchild

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks. I know that many people hunt for years and may never find a plate. I found two within 10 minutes. I realize how fortunate I am. As for the uninvited "guests", there wasn't much that I could say because the camp was on taxpayer property. Next time I'll have my wife drop me off instead of parking in aa highly travelled and visible spot.
Everyday now there are more vehicles parked there with multiple people detecting. I'm glad to have experienced it first.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thunderchild said:
Thanks to everyone for the kind remarks. I know that many people hunt for years and may never find a plate. I found two within 10 minutes. I realize how fortunate I am. As for the uninvited "guests", there wasn't much that I could say because the camp was on taxpayer property. Next time I'll have my wife drop me off instead of parking in aa highly travelled and visible spot.
Everyday now there are more vehicles parked there with multiple people detecting. I'm glad to have experienced it first.
I always have the wife drop me off!!!Been known to run likety split for any body sees me too.I like keepin good spots to myself,cepin when I invite a body.

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ModernMiner said:
brnn53 said:
Nice recoveries and research. That same Corps passed near my house and I have have been lucky enough to dig a few relics that they left. You have done much better however. Have you contacted the land owner to see if he gave anyone else permission? Nothing worse than doing all the leg work and lazy sob cashes in. I'd have been tempted to confront them but you did the right thing. Congrats on a great discovery and post!
Mike

Mike,
Unfortunately the spot was public property. I did however catch one of those guys poaching my PRIVATE property spot and another neighboring private property a few days earlier. A real class act! He was even going in at night with a head light to see. :angry5:
I have given both property owners his name and number in case he decides to trespass again. I went to my spot yesterday and found where he had not only dug and left holes, but also left his crappe' in the holes. Needless to say, we don't need his kind screwing things up for everyone else. He has also recently screwed a good friend of mine on a detector purchase and won't pay up. His day will come. :thumbsup:

-MM-

Those guys are not veteran metal detectorists they are amateurs I don't care what detector they had! I would of made sure they knew it and that they need to take their garbage out with them and to cover their holes neatly those are my top two peeves!

Chukers

Great finds BTW I was like a little kid when I found my first sword plate!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes my bannar vote is in!! Dream come true. Let me know if you ever get down Goldsboro way .

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get my banner vote for sure......not only for what and how you found it, BUT also the gentlemanly way you handled MM that deserves BIG cuddos. HH

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the finding the site and the Great recoveries! I look forward to more posts from this site. Good luck with the rest.

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know you guys are very busy and probably need as much help as you can get so just give me a holler I will come down there and help ya all I can... lol :icon_thumleft:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o Incredible , you must be still jumpin' around :hello2: damn look at it all :headbang: and MM got into some of the finds at that site :thumbsup: Truly a dream hunt !

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Site and Terrific Finds, I'm sorry about those unscrupulous "diggers" having at your site like that. Greed unfortunately is encountered sometimes in our hobby, but I would say you

made some great finds and good quantity before they got to it, Congratulations on your finds buddy :occasion14: :occasion14: :wink:

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection. Ossi

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds hard to find spots like that anymore.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations Glenn on your research and having located the site! :notworthy:
Sorry to hear about the individuals that shortened your hunt! :violent1:

As other members here have already mentioned, getting dropped off by a buddy or your wife
close to the location, but maybe not directly at the site would probably be a wise thing to do! :thumbsup:

I really like this display!
Dave

Attachments

• Shadow Box Display.jpg
    Shadow Box Display.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,415

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
they might have high dollar gear but they are far from being pro's & knowing what to do with it -- if they are leaving a breast plate and belt buckle behind --unless they are gold and silver coin shooting only -- if so they are not too bright since CW RELICS (EVEN UNION ONES) CAN FETCH A FAIR PRICE

remember buying a high dollar metal detector makes you no more of a "skilled detectorist" than buying a race car makes you a "skilled race car driver"--its the person not the machine

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
Maybe you should park your vehicle someplace on a regular basis. Have your wife pick you up. Somewhere that's maybe on state property. Or how about this. Are there any prisons near you with a bit of surrounding land? Let them get into a spot that will get them arrested. Then call the police and report it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
dirty trick but useful to get rid of folks who "horn in" your long worked for spot that you researched --buy a el cheapo - "private property" sign & Tack it on a tree there --(being its public property) only you will know its bogus -- it will scare off the others & once you clear off the others --remove said sign and go to town

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Great job on the research and great finds as well. :headbang:

Addict

Dec 6, 2009
O.C. So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
New MXT300 - old B.H. QuickDraw
Great research and awesome finds. Glad to hear you have a hunting buddy you can trust and share hunting with. :hello2:

Ever thought of camouflage netting for the car? :icon_pirat:

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killer relics!!!! :notworthy: MR TUFF

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic finds Glen! It's a darn shame those clowns from Raleigh have invaded your space....Looks like we all got burned from the same people. :icon_scratch:

You have dug some fantastic relics...Congrats

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread