Found an untouched Union Camp

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD/ AT Pro / Whites TDI SL / Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On April 29, 1865, The Army of the Tennessee 17th Corps left its camps in Raleigh and marched toward Washington D.C. for the " Grand Review". After years of war, endless battles and marches they were headed north to be reviewed and mustered out of the Army. The men of the 17th Corps marched about 12 miles and camped for two nights before resuming the "Final March". I was fortunate after months of research to locate the campsite of some of these men. The site lay undisturbed for 146 years. After pouring over historic maps, reading soldiers diaries and other accounts in the " Official Records of The War of the Rebellion", The final clue fell into place when I met Doug AKA "Modern Miner" from whom I purchased a metal detector on Craigslist. "MM" was wildly enthusiastic about relic hunting and one of the nicest people I've ever met. Turns out he had been relic hunting with much success just up the road from my home and quite near this site. It was his info on the possible location of and old road that started me pinpoint the area of the camp.

The first day out after work with daylight running short, I fired up the AT PRO and started seaching. Very soon at the base of a huge Sycamore tree I located four .58 caliber three ringers and a General Service button. Darkness soon came and I was forced to leave. Returning the next day, I began to locate more Minnie balls, melted lead and various iron objects. Very exited I left and returned the next day around 3:00 pm. To my dismay I noticed freshly dug holes that had not been filled back in. It became apparent that someone had seen my truck parked beside the road and on the previous hunts and had now "discovered" the camp. Somewhat deflated, I continued to hunt and found more relics. I went home that night and told the wife that the spot had been discovered and soon would be overun by detectorist so I needed to hit the camp every chance I could in the coming days.

Thankfully I have a very understanding wife! I went back to the site the next morning early and sure enough came upon two uninvited "guests" detecting the camp. These were "veteran" reilic hunters using "high dollar" detectors. Undeterred I went about my business hunting relics. I pulled in many more bullets including three intact, unfired .44 Henry cartridges. After these fellows left, I moved over to where they had been detecting and starting swinging the coil. The first signal on that spot they had scoured with much more advanced machines, yeilded an very nice Eagle Breastplate. I was pumped to say the least. I lightly brushed the plate off, put it in the pouch and kept swinging. The very next signal not more than 50' away, was a real "head banger" and nearly knock my headphones off. The VDI read 88-90. I knelt and carefully dug away the soil. I nearly fell over backward when I pulled a very nice Eagle sword belt plate. The next day I was unable to hunt he site due to work obligations. I did notice however, that he other relic hunters were back on the site. At this point I remembered Doug and his kindness, so I called him and told him to get his butt over while the getting was still good. I met Doug at the site in the next day or so and we hunted along side a growing number of new hunters, Yep, word travels fast!

Check out the Pics below. Doug has already posted his finds earlier. My finds include: 200 Minnie Balls, Eagle Breast Plate, Eagle Sword Belt Plate, Eagle Button, 3 Knapsack Hooks, One 1838 Large Cent, Three 1859 IH Pennies, 3 intact Henry Cartidges, Large Flat Button ("Best Plated"), 2 knapsack Buckles, several "carved Bullets, Several Chewed Bullets (Critter Candy?), Sprinfield Rifle Nose Cap, tons of melted "Camp Lead", one Fork, several Hores Shoes.

Attachments

• IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,680
  • Copy of IMAG0669.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0669.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2,216
  • Copy of IMAG0699.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0699.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,230
  • Copy of IMAG0638.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0638.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,408
  • Copy of IMAG0586.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0586.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 2,222
  • IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,676
  • IMAG0702.jpg
    IMAG0702.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 2,680
  • IMAG0705.jpg
    IMAG0705.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,590
  • IMAG0704.jpg
    IMAG0704.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,356
  • IMAG0711.jpg
    IMAG0711.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,304
  • Copy of IMAG0676.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0676.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,219
  • Copy of IMAG0675.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0675.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 2,217
  • Copy of IMAG0621.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0621.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 2,278
Upvote 0

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button. Hope to see more from that site!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story and great finds. Congrats. We need more pics though, 1 is not enough. :icon_pirat:

Edit- Now were taliking! Great pics. Love the plates and the Henry's too. Those Minnie balls look like troops in formation. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Thunderchild

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd try at posting pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0706.jpg
    IMAG0706.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,421

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sound's like some great dig's,too bad about the word getting out so fast.But you know the old saying.....Never Hunted Out. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Thunderchild

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3rd try on pics. For some reason I get one pic out of twelve to show up at a time. All pics have been compressed first. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• Copy of IMAG0653.jpg
    Copy of IMAG0653.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,343
OP
OP
Thunderchild

Thunderchild

Sep 24, 2011
N. Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giving up on posting pics Gotta go to work.

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
I think with those great finds and the pressure from the other guys I would have had a bad cough today...............

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glenn, you did very well. It's a rush to be the first one in a CW camp that has not had a coil run across it since the war. The soil was kind to the BP and 1851 SWB plate. You are spoiled now for sure.
Poachers who drive around looking for vehicles parked alonmg the road in prospective CW areas are the lowest form of animal life. The only lower forms are thoser who don't ask permission for private land.
Watch MM and don't let him get you into trouble and good luck with other new sites. Guard them with your life because poachers apparently have an info. network. HH, Quindy.

kilmer

Mar 30, 2005
Central Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3 , F75 LTD, CZ70 pro, Teknetics G2, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Found an untouched Union Camp - Awesome

What a rush, feeling like you are the first guy to ever hunt a great site. Nice job, putting the facts together. I wish I could arrange a long walk off of a short pier for your poachers. Congrats, you have some amazing finds.

Don
HH

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I applaud you for doing your research. You earned some great finds!

I really like the framed display. :icon_sunny:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow you really raked in some lead... congrats on the breast plate and sword buckle.. the framed display looks awesome :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries and research. That same Corps passed near my house and I have have been lucky enough to dig a few relics that they left. You have done much better however. Have you contacted the land owner to see if he gave anyone else permission? Nothing worse than doing all the leg work and lazy sob cashes in. I'd have been tempted to confront them but you did the right thing. Congrats on a great discovery and post!
Mike

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brnn53 said:
Nice recoveries and research. That same Corps passed near my house and I have have been lucky enough to dig a few relics that they left. You have done much better however. Have you contacted the land owner to see if he gave anyone else permission? Nothing worse than doing all the leg work and lazy sob cashes in. I'd have been tempted to confront them but you did the right thing. Congrats on a great discovery and post!
Mike

Mike,
Unfortunately the spot was public property. I did however catch one of those guys poaching my PRIVATE property spot and another neighboring private property a few days earlier. A real class act! He was even going in at night with a head light to see. :angry5:
I have given both property owners his name and number in case he decides to trespass again. I went to my spot yesterday and found where he had not only dug and left holes, but also left his crappe' in the holes. Needless to say, we don't need his kind screwing things up for everyone else. He has also recently screwed a good friend of mine on a detector purchase and won't pay up. His day will come. :thumbsup:

-MM-

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Really nice. You did well. We have the same problem with "claim jumpers" here in Tennessee but it is just something you have to deal with. Tennessee digger

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn,
Glad to see you finally got those photos loaded. :tongue3: :laughing9:
You've already heard this from me a few times, but I can't thank you enough for giving me a chance to detect your Yankee camp spot with you. :occasion14: What you were able to pull out of there in only a short time most of us can only dream about.
You did extremely well. Congrats on the breast plate, sword plate, those Henry's, and ALL THAT LEAD!!!! :o
I found some great stuff too and had a blast detecting with you. :notworthy:

We'll hit another hot spot soon. :thumbsup:

***YOU GOT MY BANNER VOTE***
-Doug-

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get my banner vote too. You sound like a great guy and I and I wish many more virgin sites for you :occasion14:

James from TN

Apr 26, 2010
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is something all of us relic hunters wish for! You did very well. I hate that someone else "discovered" your camp the first day you found it. To put in all the time researching a possible camp and then someone not only going in behind you but also telling others about it is just plan wrong. We have experienced the same type of people, actually having a fellow relic hunter follow our car to one of our CS camps. Now it is just my brothers and myself that hunt together and always try to park in an area where our vehicle is out of site. Maybe you could "hide" your vehicle from prying eyes. James

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread