Found: Chimney -Updated-

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Was out in the woods today and I found a chimney out in the woods... I don't know if its old though.? I tried metal detecting around it and found nothing but modern beer cans... Nothing old around it, only in that area.? The area has been used for hunting in the 20s and 30s and in the 1800's i think someone was there cause theres square nails and other old stuff like purple glass.? O the house in the background is a new one they just put in there.? Should have asked to detect there...

Attachments

• Old Chimney.JPG
    Old Chimney.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 830
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Re: Found: Chimney

I jsut noticed something: Its really short, could it have been a cabin or something ???

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

I'd have to say there was a cabin of some sorts. Probably is very old...
I'd move what rocks I could and detect under them as well, ya never know ya might get lucky..
Looks interesting, keep us posted...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

O yea! There is a few rocks lying around to the right of it. And btw inside of it has a bunch of modern broken glass and burnt wood, so someone must have used the area as a place to drink and make campfires.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Does remind me of an old cabin chimney. I would try all metal mode to get maximum depth and dig it all, all those leaves over the years builds up a lot and the targets may be out of the detector's reach. Did you take that pic in early Spring, where's the green foilage? Interesting site! HH, Mike

buudman

Mar 31, 2005
phila.pa

JAKE ID MOVE THE ROCKS AROUND CHECK UNDER THEM FOR SURE WATCH FOR THE BEES I HIT A NEST LAST WEEK GOT STUNG BAD. GOOD LUCK
BUD

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola

-Update-

Went back there today and found evidence of building materials in the holes i dug, meaning it probably was some sort of structure and not just a random chimney. Found two old shotgun shells on a path. Then i went down to the area next to the chimney and saw really old iron pipes running down the hill. On the washout area i found an old tin button and a piece of milkglass or pottery.

Attachments

• Chimneyareafinds.JPG
    Chimneyareafinds.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 636

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jake,
seems kind of funny that there are no leaves on the trees in the middle of July.
What's up?

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
-Maybe Final Update-

Went out there again today despite my anke, There were lots of ferns growing in what looked like distinct shapes made outa stones, they were aranged in square formations, there were lots of cans, tuna cans, round nails, shingles, wood, etc...I found a large caliber rifle shell and some other assorted relics but nothing real good....I think this was a modern structure that had electricity and maybe even water. I found something that looks almost like an old car radio or something, i will post a pic after its cleaned up but its electronic looking inside so i think its new, along with the area. I don't think i will be going back as there is nothing but cans to find :'(

R

rusty nails

did somebody give you the pic - then you went out and found it - thats pretty cool - ? i am confused about the spring thing and the today - thing - i tell you what i would hunt the heck out of that whole area - could it be a remote stone stove for a camp from long ago ? hmmmmmmmmm pretty intriguing - lbp

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
did somebody give you the pic

Nope, just happen to be walking thru the woods and found it....

I found it last spring, and i keep detecting it every now and then.

could it be a remote stone stove for a camp from long ago

I Don't think it is that old, maybe early 1900's at best....Im thinking the 1920's or 1930's or soemthing ::)

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I think that this small cabin or house or w/e it was, was painted black, because alot of the stuff i have dug, including the lock has black paint on it....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be black from charring as in a fire. Usually that is what has happened when you find a contemporary site like you seem to think it is. JIM

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Nope definetly paint! But, it looks as if the paint has bubbled due to a fire or something, also alot of the other stuff i found looked charred, so there could have been a fire there ::)

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6
I agree with leftybassplayer. I think it's an old cook station that was used by hunters and campers that visited the area.

OP
OP
JakePhelps

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
That is most likely what it was, a small cabin for cooking, hunting, etc... But i doubt visitors, most likely people who came from a different state but owned the cabin, kind of like a summer home ;)

pondmn

Jul 1, 2003
Merced, Ca
??? Found a similar chimney in the Mother Lode Gold Country and honed on it like I was gonna get rich. After md'ing around and up and down the chimney I got a good hit. Digging at the base of it I found a copper coin----a penny dated 1976.......oh well a rush for a second---better than finding a cat hole that someone put a nickle in before doing their business. Pondmn

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My recently deceased Uncle lived in Colorado and was somewhat of an explorer. He found an old prospector's shack mostly tumbled down next to a more of a gouge than a mine. It was reachable only by foot and he would go up there for a week end and prospect for gold. He found enough to pay for his trips and a little yellow to show in a small vial. He picked it out of hard rock with his pocket knife. Also found a small metal cash box with a Colt revolver and some old letters. He was trying to locate some of the family of the miner when he passed on. He was supposed to give the revolver to me but his close family fell on his belongings like vultures. They still won't speak to each other over it so I stayed out of it and they all speak to me! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions