Found Good Military Button This Afternoon! UPDATE:Cleaned Pics-100%Silver Plated

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After my household duties were done, I got out for a couple hours at one of my small colonial sites. Worked real slow in some really trashy (aluminum scraps) ground and pulled these little gems out! The flower button came first and the early 1800s Eagle Militia came last. Great feeling when you flip a flattie over and see that eagle staring back at you. The backmark is Best Plated London. Pics are fresh out of the dirt, and toothpick dry cleaning. Not pictured is a pound of scrap aluminum. YeeHaw!!!

Update: It cleaned up nice - almost 100% silver plating still intact! The pic doesn't even do this one justice. Found it in Albert's Button Book as GI 57 "Militia 1-piece, 13 stars with border" 20 MM, RV 20. You gotta love this hobby!
HH
slim

Facebook for Metal Detectorists >> http://metaldetectingnet.com

Attachments

• 090509uncleand.jpg
    090509uncleand.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 592
  • 090509goodmilitia.jpg
    090509goodmilitia.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 090509militiaback.jpg
    090509militiaback.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 551
  • 090509cleandGI57.jpg
    090509cleandGI57.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 532
  • 090509cleandback.jpg
    090509cleandback.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0
Re: Found a Good Military Button This Afternoon!

Nice button. Congrats.....

Nice finds,congrats! :thumbsup:

Good one Slim....Congrat's :thumbsup:

Awesome button Slim!

WOW....That is a beauty! Congrats....Hogge :headbang:

Very nice condition :thumbsup:

Re: Found Good Military Button This Afternoon! UPDATE:Cleaned Pics-100%Silver Pl

That is a real beauty of a button! One of the best I have seen!

mudslideslim, great button! I was looking at the other one also, which at first glance reminded my of a thistle, but now I'm not sure what it is. Although it is probably civilian, I wouldn't write it off as non-military too soon until you can identify it positively. The thistle was used by some Scottish troops and this could perhaps be a variant. What kind of flower do you suppose it is?

Excellent button! Great photos, and top notch cleaning and preservation of your finds.

I enjoyed reading this post. :thumbsup:

-Buck

johnnyi said:
mudslideslim, great button! I was looking at the other one also, which at first glance reminded my of a thistle, but now I'm not sure what it is. Although it is probably civilian, I wouldn't write it off as non-military too soon until you can identify it positively. The thistle was used by some Scottish troops and this could perhaps be a variant. What kind of flower do you suppose it is?

thanks bud. not sure about the weird flower on that button - you make a good point - i've got to do some research on it.
hh
slim

Thank Y'all!

Thanks for all the comments.
hh
slim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back