What's new

Found in a farm field, wierd rock? Lead?

baspinall

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
846
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in a farmers field. It came up as a 50 cent silver. When I dug it out it looked like a piece of melted lead. Lead wouldn't give me that reading on the Spectra V3. Aluminum sometimes does. This is real dense/heavy like lead. I broke it apart and it looks like silver inside? Really, really shiny. Kind of has striations like a crystalline substance. Not magnetic. Any ideas?

Brian
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0034 [50%].webp
    DSC_0034 [50%].webp
    44.7 KB · Views: 552
  • DSC_0031 [50%].webp
    DSC_0031 [50%].webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 559
  • DSC_0039 [50%].webp
    DSC_0039 [50%].webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 540
I find alot of this stuff on my older sites here in VT too. It wont melt like lead either. Needs more heat.


VPR
 
Upvote 0
Lead sulfide (Galena), silver sulfide, or both (argentiferous Galena).
 
Upvote 0
I do believe it to be printing type metal witch is a mix of lead and tin. Just my guess. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Lead sulfide (Galena), silver sulfide, or both (argentiferous Galena).

All of the examples of this stuff that I have found seem to be "melted" at one point. Is this a byproduct of some smelting of an ore of some kind?

Not naturally occuring chunk of metal. ( The ones I have found anyway)


VPR
 
Upvote 0
VERMONTPACKRAT said:
All of the examples of this stuff that I have found seem to be "melted" at one point. Is this a byproduct of some smelting of an ore of some kind?

Not naturally occuring chunk of metal. ( The ones I have found anyway)


VPR

Oh, then just pot metal from somebody's burn pile. Look for the charcoal.
 
Upvote 0
Its Galena! I found some and another Tnetter identified it as such, just can't remember which one. I believe a byproduct of silver ore. But then again I could be way off. :tongue3: jgas
 
Upvote 0
I think ivan is pretty much correct. Around camping and picnicking areas we consistently find chunks of slag from aluminum cans, foil and other similar metals that idiots throw into their fires. The slag chunks generally sound like a good coin reading because of size and density, so you dig them up and :angry4: .
I HATE that!!!!
 
Upvote 0
Cybercop106 said:
I think ivan is pretty much correct. Around camping and picnicking areas we consistently find chunks of slag from aluminum cans, foil and other similar metals that idiots throw into their fires. The slag chunks generally sound like a good coin reading because of size and density, so you dig them up and :angry4: .
I HATE that!!!!


I am 100% sure that these are not aluminum slag pieces. I think that silver sulfide or lead sulfide is correct. The pieces that I find are for the most part found where there is NO modern trash.



VPR
 
Upvote 0
It really does look like Galena to me. Small veins in rock that weathers away to nothing leave these flat nuggets on the hill slope. The miners called that "float mineral." I guess cause it kinda floated down the hill? :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom