What's new

Found in civil war camp

civil_war22

Relic Recovery Specialist
Joined
Dec 5, 2008
Messages
3,257
Reaction score
2,815
Golden Thread
1
Location
NW Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE/LTD2, minelab Etrac, whites classic id, spectrum xlt, fisher f7, fisher 1266, king of all Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro Vaquero, Fisher 1280-X, minelab equinox, Fisher F75+ Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this round piece. Appears to be copper or brass. Has small hole on one side and larger on other. The larger side has grooves on the inside. Also if you look close in picture there is a smaller round piece of metal that has some sort of stem that I found in same hole. Thanks for the help.
 

Attachments

  • image-3471860621.webp
    image-3471860621.webp
    28 KB · Views: 155
  • image-2655005267.webp
    image-2655005267.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 183
It looks like a tompion
 
Upvote 0
I looked at some Tompians and they look very odd compared to this
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a tompion. You are missing the shaft, which would look like a square nail. That's why the hole in it. The shaft would have been covered in cork. But there are some other types of tompion that don't look like what you have.
 
Upvote 0
I have the shaft. It's just not in picture. I wondered what that other square piece was:)
 
Upvote 0
Specifically, it is a civil war era Enfield Rifle tompion, made in Britain, and issued to both US and CS soldiers along with those rifles. If you'd like to know what your find looked like on the day it was lost, here's a couple of photos showing a non-excavated one with its original cork plug intact.
 

Attachments

  • gunparts_tompion_Enfield-rifle-tompion_nondug_with-cork_sideview_Ebay`.webp
    gunparts_tompion_Enfield-rifle-tompion_nondug_with-cork_sideview_Ebay`.webp
    197.1 KB · Views: 261
  • gunparts_tompion_Enfield-rifle-tompion_nondug_with-cork_basesideview_Ebay`.webp
    gunparts_tompion_Enfield-rifle-tompion_nondug_with-cork_basesideview_Ebay`.webp
    201.5 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom