What's new

Found my 1st WHOLE Crotal Bell !!!

Beeps in my sleep

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
784
Reaction score
1,087
Golden Thread
0
Location
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was back at the farm where I had posted the photos of the large 1700s Crotal bell that had been ID'd based on the size and shank and the Civil War Breast plate. Went back today to try to find the last half of the Crotal Bell. No luck but found my FIRST WHOLE ONE!!! WOOT WOOT. Can anybody give an idea as to the age of this beauty!? The house was a log house built in the 1700's and has been in the family for generations. Here are the photos

20151025_161202.webp 20151025_161210.webp



20151025_161218.webp 20151025_161230.webp



20151025_161242.webp
 
Upvote 22
Love the Bell!!! I've yet to find one. Nice find!!
 
Those are always cool to find
 
Congrats! Still hoping for my first :thumbsup:

Are there initials or any kind of design on it?
 
Great one Beeps. I found my smallest bell yesterday. Fortunately it was whole and still rings. Is the first acorn shaped one for me too. They really are neat to find, aren't they?
 
In the Uk, it would be rare to have 4 holes instead of 2:icon_scratch: I guess late 18th C, but will await a better answer, as 19th C might be OK.
 
Congrats on your Crotal Bell. :occasion14: That is still on the list of finds I'd like to dig.
 
It rings after being cleaned even though a little smooshed and muted it still rings!
 
Last edited:
I have only one crotal bell it has 4 holes in the top and a slot through the bottom and it still rings.
 
Ones with makers marks seem to be pretty scarce, at least for me, out of at least 2 dozen I got only one with makeres marks initials.

here's a read for you.
Crotal bells - ukdfd
 
I saw an article once on the 4-hole vs. 2-hole. One is older...I don't remember which one. I doubt your bell is 18th C--most likely 19th. The older ones were also known as petal bells and often bore a manufacturer name. Later bells were numbered indicating size. Nice find!
 
I saw an article once on the 4-hole vs. 2-hole. One is older...I don't remember which one. I doubt your bell is 18th C--most likely 19th. The older ones were also known as petal bells and often bore a manufacturer name. Later bells were numbered indicating size. Nice find!

Must be younger then, because all mine are 2 hole. So most likely 19th C like you say.
 
Yes I believe that's correct they added two extra holes later. I'll look for the article. It was pretty interesting.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom