Found my first artifact!

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
After a lot of research, gaining permission, and a couple of days walking I found my first artifact. Now it's time to find out what it is. I looked in some books and on the net and I think that it is made of Upper Mercer/Coshochton flint. Also, by looking at the flaking of the point and of other examples in books and on the net I think it's the front portion of a dovetail. I know there isn't much to go by but the lack of a center ridge is what pointed me towards a dovetail. The examples that I looked at didn't have a center ridge either. In addition I'd like to find out if that's an impact fracture on the tip and if that's a fire pop on the opposite end? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I know that this isn't much of a find for most but it's my first so it'll always be a trophy to me. And I'm hooked. Thanks for looking.

100_4299.jpg

100_4311-1.jpg

100_4324-1.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to artifacts ! Congrats of your first find of many I hope.Looks like fire pop in that one spot and could be a impact fracture..may never know the type :dontknow:. You have learned some terminology did you watch here or get it off the net.
I have learned bunches from these guys and gals.
Happy Huntin
TnMtns

OP
OP
J

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
Thanks TnMtn. I've learned a lot of stuff from reading past posts on here. Some from searching the net. The people on here really know their stuff.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Well done Jaron...congratulations on your first. Looks like early archaic flaking imo. Hey man, where there's one there are many more. Glad your research and effort paid off.

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Jaron, Let me join Tennessee and T7 in congratulating you on your find. I've never quite gotten over the idea of holding something in my hand that was last held several hundred years ago. Whether it's a perfect Washita point or a broken scraper, it still causes the epinephrine to unload itself in the bloodstream. Follow the posts of guys like Tennessee and T7 among others and you can learn a great deal. I'm less than 10 years in this game and am still a rank amateur, but these guys (and gals) will educate you if you'll ask questions and let them. Finally, let me warn you that this business is addicting! If not careful, you'll find yourself investing large blocks of time in the chase. Each new find only whets your appetite for more. But then, it's not a bad way to spend your spare time. Good luck, and good hunting!
Doc

OP
OP
J

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
Thanks a lot for the encouraging words. It is addicting but I do need to balance it between my family, work, and my other interests. This is something I've been fascinated with for quite some time and finally decided to dedicate some time to it. Thanks again.

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
You will soon have a list of goto sites. I suggest using Google Earth to scout from above, and then driving in those areas to look for fields that are worked up. Concentrate on river and stream banks and surrounding hills. Good Luck and Welcome!!!

RichPA

Sep 21, 2009
Congrats on the first find. The black colored materials in the area include upper mercer, Kanawha, and local ten mile chert. From what I’ve learned the upper mercer is usually glossy. The Kanawha and ten mile are usually dull and grainy but high grade glossy examples of these cherts occur. It’s good to see another new SWPA collector posting.

Did you find more flint/chert flakes in the area or was it an isolated find? The best sites I’ve found contain more than one type of material or a lot of waste chunks of the same material. Good luck on your future hunts.

OP
OP
J

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
Hey RichPA. It is cool having other people from the area to compare notes and to talk with. I also found two flakes of the same material and some really low grade chert cobbles in the same field. Lots of cortex on the cobbles. I think they are stuff from the immediate area.

findog

Greenie
Mar 24, 2009
Eastern Illinois
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats dude! I as most on here remember their first one. Get ready for long hours in the field because you won't be able stop.

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
I agree with docmann there is nothing like holding a piece of real history in your hand, Congratulations on your find and may you have many more. Just remember to keep your eye to the ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread