🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Found near Mad Anthony Wayne's camp in Southern Ohio

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any idea what this could be. M
InkedIMG-4595_LI.jpg
e and a buddy was detecting where in 1794 Mad Anthony Wayne camped in southern Ohio Carroll county. Today we met one land owner and talked to him for a while. He gave up permission to hunt his property any time we wanted to. I think the spring would be much better because of all the tall weeds and brush. While we was talking to him he showed and gave me a object and did not know what it was. Three or four years ago he had part of a hill dug away so he could have a hut type storage building built. When they dug the hill away and the bottom of the hill they uncovered this brass or bronze type item. It is about 12 inches long 2 1/4 inches wide and 1 1/2 inch thick. the center type in kind of concave as to hold something. In the picture with the Blue x and there shed level it was found next to the corner spot where the shed corner is. As you can see it was quite deep in the earth. When they dug the dirt they uncovered the item.
IMG-4603Concave.jpg
IMG-4601.jpg
IMG-4590.jpg
IMG-4602.jpg

Last edited:

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wouldn't brass/bronze be too soft?

I was wondering if it might be an odd-shaped ingot or if the shape is too "specific" for an ingot? I'm just thinking thinner might make it melt quicker.
Bronze has been used for bearings and bushings for a long time and still is.

Upvote 6

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most every common house fan has a small motor with a bronze bearing,I,ve torn down a 100 of them to scrap the copper. Bronze has the property of lubricity,so say engineers.I hope I,m right,I don,t run to the net every time I have one of these ideas.Of course some of them turn into brain farts!!!!!:tongue3:
:tongue3::tongue3::happy3::happy3::happy3:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This item also weighs about 4 1/4 pounds (69.3 ounces) when they dug the hill away in 2015 it was found by the construction crew. It was about 4 to 5 foot deep in the hillside. I myself am thinking it is some part of a carriage for either a wagon or cannon carriage. I have tried looking up carriage and cannon parts. not much luck. The one side has like a bench mark stamped on it.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more ideas ?

Upvote 1

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The markings remind me of a "farmered up" plan I used to straighten a bent hollow aluminum tube.

L1USlkm.jpg

"What's he smoking?" you say. But wait - what you can't see in this image is a lead ingot I used between the 8-ton hyrdraulic jack and the aluminum so that it spread out the pressure and didn't just cave in the tubing side. I took out a 3/4" bend off center-of-the-bolt-holes" working carefully along the "convex" side.
0eHZmFc.jpg

Perhaps it was something used as part of a clamp for cylindrical objects? Looks pretty large for a babbitt bearing side.

Upvote 5

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any idea what this could be. M View attachment 1990286 e and a buddy was detecting where in 1794 Mad Anthony Wayne camped in southern Ohio Carroll county. Today we met one land owner and talked to him for a while. He gave up permission to hunt his property any time we wanted to. I think the spring would be much better because of all the tall weeds and brush. While we was talking to him he showed and gave me a object and did not know what it was. Three or four years ago he had part of a hill dug away so he could have a hut type storage building built. When they dug the hill away and the bottom of the hill they uncovered this brass or bronze type item. It is about 12 inches long 2 1/4 inches wide and 1 1/2 inch thick. the center type in kind of concave as to hold something. In the picture with the Blue x and there shed level it was found next to the corner spot where the shed corner is. As you can see it was quite deep in the earth. When they dug the dirt they uncovered the item. View attachment 1990288 View attachment 1990289 View attachment 1990290 View attachment 1990291
Can someone tell me how to open or download these images please? I am using an android phone if that helps.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no one has any more ideas ?

Upvote 1

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gare, attached are 3 pics of part of a "warp" shaft bearing I found made of Babbitt. In general it has the same appearance as your artifact with the smooth channel and chiseled-looking exterior. I recall it being heavy for its size but was only 3/8" to 3/4" thick. Per the description your artifact is 1 1/2" thick. When I scale your last pic to 2 1/2" width I'm finding your artifact is about 1/2" thick (4th pic). This would make it about the same thickness as the bearing I found.

However, something that is puzzling me is the arc of the channel of your artifact is much larger than the one I found. It has about a 5" diameter (5th pic).

Attachments

• Diameter.jpg
    Diameter.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Bearing.jpg
    Bearing.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunter No ROTATION MARKS on it

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG-2329.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the XRF Readings

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance it could be a steam engine part either tractor or train?
The people that removed the dirt to build hut found it at the ground level after they removed 4 to 5 foot of the hillside. . The people that camp there in 1794 could have been just a supply group for Wayne.
I think it was part of a shaft bearing that set on top of a shaft for the heavy part of the item rode on the top[ pf the shaft saving the wood.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread