found Pocket Watch

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
found this today while checking a site that has some burial vaults (empty... whew!!!) strewn about the woods.

Does anyone have any information or links for pocket watches? The best I can make out without doing an aggressive cleaning is LLMO or ELMO below the 12. It also says Made in USA on the bottom of the front below the six.

It was about 10 inches deep and as far as I can tell, the area was a staging area for a church cemetery nearby before a highway was installed separating the two. I found a marker for a funeral about 3 inches deep that said Eudora Foster 1892-1964. looks like the watch quit working between 1 and 2 o'clock. :)

Thanks for looking and HH.

EDIT: oh and any advice on cleaning this thing would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Pocketfront.jpg
    Pocketfront.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 542
  • Pocketback.jpg
    Pocketback.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 529
Upvote 0
My father is a pocketwatch collector. I'll forward your pics to him and let you know what he thinks.

Lafitte said:
My father is a pocketwatch collector. I'll forward your pics to him and let you know what he thinks.

awesome thanks so much.

I am trying to find out when the phrase "made in USA" first started appearing on products but so far google is failing me.

wife found a pocket watch but it wasnt in as good a shape as yours , nice find congrats to you ;)

Very cool old watch. I wouldn't dig too deep in that area if I were you...lol ;D ;D

Hi MM,
Here's what I got from my father.
"Looks like an Ingersoll (known as a $1. watch cause that is what they
sold for at the time). Probably from the 30's or 40's, maybe some kid
lost it."
Hope it helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back