Found some hand stacked rocks way back in the woods.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
img20161211_061639.jpg img20161211_061904.jpg img20161211_062005.jpg img20161211_032848.jpg
Took a huge hike down a remote Colorado Mt. About 3 hours down my boys eyeball these strange formations. Barely visible from the bushwack trail. I was reading some old gold forums about old timers hand stacking rocks afterward and it made sense.
We will do the hike again, very remote. Hopefully we can spend some time and get down to some undisturbed bedrock. How would you go about mining this area? Haul buckets to the stream about one half mile away, or drywash? I mainly just wanted to share my story, and get some ideas. Its an insane hike, I don't want to pack too much in unless its worth it!!! Hope you are 'll finding color:)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, did you mean Lake Moraine where early homesteaders settled before they were kicked out by the forest service later? If im incorrect, could you point me in the right direction of Lake Lorraine? Thank you.

I'm sure you are right, my memory is a little off. It is part of those watershed lakes. I read it in a book put out by the forest service or parks dept. I think.

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are some obvious hand stacks. Stacking is preferable to tossing unless you plan to dig only a few feet deep. Digging deeper requires thoughtful discard of the cobbles or you will soon have everything sliding back in. It's slower but takes less energy. I think I would believe gem hunters over gold miners.
Look up the mining history for that specific area and you will probably get all your answers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread