gun.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,861

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Looks like an Iver Johnsons .32 I've got floating around the office here. Copy of a popular Smith & Wesson. Mine's got an owl head on the grip, any distingushing markings on it?

kenb

Upvote 0

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
THAMES ARMS 38 CAL. REVOLVER IN UNFIRED CONDITION. WITH 100% ORIGINAL NICKEL FINISH, PERFECT GRIPS, AND AN EXCELLENT BORE. MARKED "THAMES ARM ...(read more)

Seller: EBCO (FFL Dealer) $200.00

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yucon Cornelius

Yucon Cornelius

Sep 27, 2006
west virginia (wayne)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, whites eagle II
the only markings are on top the barrell. SN and caliber
my friend did some research with a gun collector. the last 3 digits of the sn are mfg date. this one says 5-86. it wwas mfgd may 1886, worth from 50-200 only, but its the oldest thing i own, along with my 1886 silver dollar. i may display them together

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along in the 20s and 30s there were a lot of cheaper copies of the Smith and Wesson top-break revolvers. That's what you have, almost identical to the one I have displayed on my wall at home. Looks like nickel plated and probably worth fifty to a hundred bucks. Unless everything is really tight on it I wouldn't fire it and if you do , be sure to use only .38 S&W ammo. Ammo is getting scarce but most big gun stores will have it.

Attachments

• DSC00507.JPG
    DSC00507.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,537
  • DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,588
  • DSC00507.JPG
    DSC00507.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,526
  • DSC00508.JPG
    DSC00508.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,536
Upvote 0

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty...I hope you don't rent with the size of the nails you used to display that gun...no security deposit for you. LOL

Upvote 0

Waco Kid

Apr 21, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
kenb said:
Looks like an Iver Johnsons .32 I've got floating around the office here. Copy of a popular Smith & Wesson. Mine's got an owl head on the grip, any distingushing markings on it?

kenb

Off-topic bit of trivia: That's the same kind of gun that was used to assassinate President McKinley.

Upvote 0

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Waco Kid said:
kenb said:

kenb

Off-topic bit of trivia: That's the same kind of gun that was used to assassinate President McKinley.

Czolgosz 1901 Iver-Johnson .32 cal, 5-shot revolver, owls on the side, black grip. The owl was the logo of Iver-Johnson Firearms Company, and is set into the pattern of the grip mold. Even when holding the gun in your hand, it is awfully difficult to see the logo. Certainly the audience can never see it. Don’t sweat over this minutiae which is completely insignificant. [I hate details like this that are thrown into scripts but provide no benefit to the production.]

G25 - BICYCLE IVER-JOHNSON – [43.56]

John

Upvote 0

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
take the grips off and see if there is any markings, scratched in. they just discovered a guys that was part of the lincoln county war over here. with "billy the kid" it wasnt his, i think it was a part of a shooting at a old mill here, i forgot the guys name. i think he was involved in a incedent at blazers mill

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yep they used call em ---owlheads ---break tops---popular little gun --- very old--- check it out very, very welll before you fire it ---had one "split" along the barrel on me years ago ---lucky it didn't blow apart --but it did split (cracked) lengthwize down the barrel--didn't hurt me but did scare the bejesus outta me--- I was lucky as heck---make very sure to use the "correct" ammo and a "mild" load at that. if you do shoot it --personally I say don't shoot it----Ivan

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty sure we have established it is a .38 caliber as per the markings on the barrel. A .32 would drop almost right through the cylinder. The .38 S&W is a stubby little cartridge that looks like a shortened .38 Special, except it uses a bullet no smaller than .358". It is a little fat for some .38 Special or .357 magnum cylinders and won't chamber in most high quality guns of those calibers. I don't know why I am telling you this except I was a gun nut long before I was a metal detecting nut. M ::) nty

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
monty more worried about a hot modern 38 cal if it fits into the old gun--the pressure could blow it apart ---also those real old guns sometime are wore out --the metals quite old and some of them aren't made that well---even the "correct load and ammo" can bust em into pieces---the .32 cal one who barrel split as I fired it had the "correct ammo" in it and gave me no warning that it was weak---thats why I say use it for a "wall hanger" only. Ivan

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

OK, sticking my big nose into this little discussion. The word "Thames" makes me think of London, England. Could this gun have been made in Britain? Maybe to appeal to the American market?

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"british made" guns were though of as high class---like fine "bird guns" by fox and purdy and others ---- the gun might be british made or it might just be a marketing ploy of an american company. lots of these small guns werte around---thet were quite common. Ivan

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread