• IMG_8730.jpg
    IMG_8730.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_8731.jpg
    IMG_8731.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 719
T

TreasureTales

OK, looking at the top photo with my bifocals on, and then looking through a magnifying glass, it appears that some incised lettering or numerals are visible. WHAT DOES IT SAY? Whatever it says could be a BIG help in identifying this thing, which looks as if it was attached to something larger at one time.

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope its the male /female part of a cane fishing pole
your welcome in advance ;D

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

I respectfully disagree with the fishing rod ferrules identification. Why the triangle shape cut-out? How did this thing become so uniformly ovoid?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Trescher

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
TreasureTales said:
I respectfully disagree with the fishing rod ferrules identification. Why the triangle shape cut-out? How did this thing become so uniformly ovoid?

I agree that the triangle cut-out is not to prevent the cane pole from sliding out, as it is pointing the wrong way.
The ovoidness is due to being squashed. I believe that is was round before.

I'll do what I can to try and separate the two piece and post new pictures.

Upvote 0

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Well. I would want to know how big the dang thing was before I decided on it. Oddly enough, I was near a river not too long ago and dug something that looked like this, but the moment I realized it was a broken duck call I threw it out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Trescher

Trescher

Jul 29, 2006
San Antonio Texas
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, ACE 250
I was unable to pull the two pieces apart.
Figuring that the value of this item was now in figuring it out, I took the outside tube off, in pieces, and found the inside tube to be just like you would expect. It is as long as to the center indentation.

The pieces were not welded together, nor rusted (I'm guessing aluminum), just an old tight fit with a little dirt between them enough to stop them from pulling apart.

Possibly a tent pole?

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

Trescher said:
I was unable to pull the two pieces apart.
Figuring that the value of this item was now in figuring it out, I took the outside tube off, in pieces, and found the inside tube to be just like you would expect. It is as long as to the center indentation.

The pieces were not welded together, nor rusted (I'm guessing aluminum), just an old tight fit with a little dirt between them enough to stop them from pulling apart.

Possibly a tent pole?

This description seems to lend MORE credibility to the fishing rod ferrules theory. I'm gonna have to take a very close look at my one and only cane fly rod to see if it has ferrules with a triangular cut-out and if the ferrules could be smooshed without the metal stressing to a failing point. If so, I may have to do a MEA CULPA to BARON VON DE KALB. Certainly the river bank location makes them probable as fishing rod parts.
Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong and it won't be the last, no doubt!!!

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I think Baron Von De Kalb is right on the money...

It's the connection to a bamboo/cane fishing pole. The triangular tab set the piece and the other end would have the same if it was not broken off. I see the pole pieces going home with the fisherman for repairs while the broken pieces got tossed (maybe the poles got tossed too?). I just spent an hour looking at pictures of bamboo/cane poles and they are all custom sized and held together by countless types of connections and tabs and set holes. Um... I guess all the same holds true for tent pole connections?

And, I've dug hundreds of 45-70 shells that are uniformly reshaped by crushing, or whatever means, to know they could almost look manufactured that way...

It remains a good mystery...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread