old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this. this afternoon and not sure what it's function was for sure. It looks like a chisel. On the working end you can see where the bone was cut, and the other end shows the pores of the inner bone where it was probably chewed on by the pack rats.
It was found in a north-east facing shelter along side a pack rat nest. Bone tools are not that common to find around here unless one is fortunate to find one that has been preserved and sheltered in a dry place. If you can help out with what it may have been used as, please feel free to comment.

folder #3 001.JPG folder #3 002.JPG

folder #3 012.JPG folder #3 010.JPG

folder #3 011.JPG folder #3 015.JPG

folder #3 016.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I'll take the safe route and say 'hide working tool'. I am amazed the pack rats didn't chew it plumb up for the calcium content.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Not sure, but great looking piece. I saw the first couple of pictures and the gnaw marks, and thought it was just another rodent chewed antler confused for a relic, but the other pictures really show the workmanship. It almost looks ground into shape.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems rather odd, only two responses. ''Happy Hunting!''

''Good Day!''

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, looks like a chisel but the poll end doesn't look like it's been hammered on, so I'm thinking it could of been used any number of different functions, but cool find!

heysharkie

Dec 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having worked up a bunch of buckskin, that looks like a "staking tool" to work hides like stated above.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the bone tools are extremely rare, I wouldn't venture a guess, but others that have are probably spot on, really neat to see though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread