What's new

Found this with box of old insulators

Kjones8

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Found this in a box with about 36 old glass insulators..not sure at all what it is. Measures about 2 inches.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2249mod.webp
    DSCN2249mod.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 558
Might try reposting the picture...takes forever to open...

It looks like a small insulator with a reflection of you taking a picture...
 
Upvote 0
I can't remember ever seeing an insulator quite like that in shape, it looks similar to some I've seen for lightning rods and electric fences, but I'm not entirely sure that's what it is. Looks more like decorative carnival glass to me, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Try sending your pic to this site.... http://www.insulators.info/
 
Upvote 0
NOLA_Ken said:
I can't remember ever seeing an insulator quite like that in shape, it looks similar to some I've seen for lightning rods and electric fences, but I'm not entirely sure that's what it is. Looks more like decorative carnival glass to me, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Try sending your pic to this site.... http://www.insulators.info/

You sure you're talking about the insulator? and not the reflection? :o 8)

Mike

and we're a bit slow, but......... WELCOME to TreasureNet Kjones8 :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Is the glass fairly thin? Does it have a small hole at one end? If so, I agree with Brady; it looks like a vintage hand-blown glass Christmas ornament from the early 1950's. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet. We will get this identified, rest assured. :laughing7: I don't think it is a christmas ornament. I see an old wire mark in the center of it. We need more info. Are there any markings at all on it? Is there a hole anywhere on it? Is it solid? Perhaps another photo at a different angle. It does look like carnival glass.
 
Upvote 0
I really don't think we can make a proper assessment with just one pic and not much information. We all know Insulators are so thick and heavy, one dropped on a bear-footed toe would break it, and we know Christmas ornaments are almost paper thin, and made great BB gun targets. :laughing7: In other words, we need more information and pics.

Excuse my manners: WELCOME to the forum!

Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Diggummup you are right...there looks to be some rusted wire markings in the center of it. This piece is so peculiar. The box of old insulators were in an old barn and very dusty. This little piece caught my eye more than any of the insulators for some reason. I have looked and looked and cannot find anything about it. I will get some more pictures of it posted this evening. There doesn't seem to be any holes in it, and I do not believe it is hollow.
 
Upvote 0
I forgot to mention, whatever it is, it appears to be made from 'peacock' carnival glass.
 
Upvote 0
Here's a link you might try....

http://www.suziemax.com/index.html

I really don't think it's an insulator, I just cant see how it would attach to anything. I've seen a lot of insulators, but of course that doesn't mean I've seen them all. My thought is more along the lines of a knife rest or something like that. Do a google image search for glass knife rest, and it turns up some similar things, but no match......
 
Upvote 0
Kjones8 said:
Diggummup you are right...there looks to be some rusted wire markings in the center of it. This piece is so peculiar. The box of old insulators were in an old barn and very dusty. This little piece caught my eye more than any of the insulators for some reason. I have looked and looked and cannot find anything about it. I will get some more pictures of it posted this evening. There doesn't seem to be any holes in it, and I do not believe it is hollow.

So is it heavy & solid(for its size) like a wind chime ball, Victorian chandelier ball, or jewelry piece? If so, it could be any of the above, plus it would explain the wire/rust area in the middle. I didn't realize it was only 2 inches tall until I just now re-read his original post. I was thinking it was the size of an insulator, so I'm going with jewelry piece, chandelier ball or wind chime piece. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
A collector I showed your pic to said it looks like a nice piece of glass (nicely colored) but had absolutely no idea what it is...... :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
can we see a clear picture
pics of each end?
I assume its glass, thickness, can you mic the glass?
Brady
 
Upvote 0
do you see a seam in the glass?
do you think its been blown?
Brady
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
5
Views
831
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Any ideas?
Replies
4
Views
573

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom