Found today in Bradenton FL ..1680-1700 2 1)2 inch cannonball....

Storageunit1

Mar 5, 2023
IMG_2023-11-05-18-05-28-437.jpg
IMG_2023-11-05-17-52-31-257.jpg

Upvote 24
It could be the lighting of the picture that gives that look.
Maybe take a few photos in natural lighting so there's no artificial flash or lighting distorting the colour.

Just a suggestion is to post it up on the "What is it" forum as there are very knowledgable members that know a lot about this subject.
@TheCannonballGuy
I got a light down and at the bottom of the hole it flares out alittle like a bowl...
I was meaning also of the entire ball, different photos of all sides.
This should be done outside, not under a light bulb in the house.
Simple request to actually see what you are referring to for a composite material.

Do you think maybe that part sticking out could be a different type metal ? It may be part of the fuse and not affected by the corrosion .Possibly the outer part of it has rusted away. Leaving the little ring un affected ? Maybe the Cannonball Guy might see this :)

It's an interesting piece but definitely not a grenade, cannonball or related projectile. As already observed the pitting and oxidation suggest it is made of aluminum or zinc, metals which weren't available until over a century after your proposed date. The diameter is on the large side but still normal for an antique 1930s-40s ball gear shift knob, or it might be a spherical finial from something like a flagpole, but whatever it is it's unlikely to date to earlier than the 20th century.
I have to agree, doesn't look right for stone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back