What's new

Foundation Help

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2005
Messages
12,689
Reaction score
378
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ozarks
Any ideas on what this is
Approx. 30 feet by 15
2 feet deep
Walls too thin for a foundation.....but looks like there was an entry point
 

Attachments

  • Ozark woods 1.webp
    Ozark woods 1.webp
    95.3 KB · Views: 429
First thought was a pool or fish pond.
But what about a dry pen, hogs maybe.
Or a fighting pen.

Any more info about the area?
 
Upvote 0
looks like a fish pond with a waterfall
 
Upvote 0
Ok...Top of a Ozark ridge,stone bottom,no water source that I could find,......my first thought was rain water trough.....but then it looks like an opening in the bottom left...little bit of foundation in that corner had fallen,but then there was like a cut open spot ....no remaining rocks to fit in .....
 
Upvote 0
Gypsy, are there any other man made structures anywhere near it? Roads, fences, etc...? It looks like it was used as a stock tank. You might want to be careful, there could be an old well close by that is hidden now. That foundation or whatever it is looks like it's been there for a good long while.

HH Charlie
 
Upvote 0
It could have been some kind of storage building, like for feed or something that just needed a roof over it.

vicki
 
Upvote 0
By the shape, I'm going with the decorative fish/lily plant pond. If there is no house around, then it becomes more of a mystery. Take a close look at the cement/mortar. It is a good indication of age. Lots of lime and white is older than gray. Maybe break off a piece and take it to a place/person who knows about that sort of thing. They may be able to tell you a great deal.

I also agree with the fact that there may be a well somewhere. That's good and bad. You could fall in :tard: but then you would be where you wanted to be to dig for stuff. :thumbsup:

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I also would think a rain water holding tank.Would the cutout be something done for draining?

Nova Treasure
 
Upvote 0
Thanks everyone...I really dont think its a pond for fish...the area is very remote,top of Ozarks ......any person there would have had a log cabin.....
 
Upvote 0
I'd have to lean toward hog pen, although the words "cee-ment pond" keep running through my head.
 
Upvote 0
I lean toward the pool idea. Have you run your ground probe around the inside to verify it's only a shallow keep? I've seen similar shapes at old homes in Kentucky, that were not filled yet and had a shallow end and deep end. The house may have been moved intact. The labor of house relocation used to not be prohibitive. In addition, if the house was old enough to have a stone foundation they may have carted the foundation to the new location as well.

Whether pool, catch basin, or shallow pond etc, the well idea is a good one. I'd be inclined (pun intended) to look uphill for the well if there is one.... :) Of course if you're at the peak of the ridge that doesn't work does it?

Best of luck finding out, I know with your research skills that location is going to have a hard time keeping it's secrets from you.
 
Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
Thanks everyone...I really dont think its a pond for fish...the area is very remote,top of Ozarks ......any person there would have had a log cabin.....

Sounds perfect, my own wooden cabin with ornamental carp pond 8)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom