What's new

Fragment of what

dirty digger dude

Jr. Member
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
96
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I have no idea what this is...any guesses?
 

Attachments

  • DSC05451.webp
    DSC05451.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC05452.webp
    DSC05452.webp
    48.7 KB · Views: 420
  • DSC05453.webp
    DSC05453.webp
    48.1 KB · Views: 429
well it's not steel or steel alloy. not aluminum, the oxidised color does not look like pewter. It looks old and thats all I can say.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like the top area of a mortar as in mortar and pestle. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
dirty digger dude said:
the neck is a little narrow for a mortar.

What would be the diameter of the neck if it were complete? They came/come in all sizes, and many were small since the nature of use was generally medicines. Here is a website with some modern wooden ones where the Mortar is only 2 5/8" in diameter x 2" to 2 1/4" deep.
http://www.crafty-owl.com/mortar-and-pestle.htm

:icon_thumleft: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
:icon_scratch:

Looks like a fragment of a small Bronze Cannon :dontknow:

SS
 
Upvote 0
not a piece of pipe..it has no threads. looks like if you followed the contours it formed a complete container. With out having it here with I am going to guess you could put your thumb in the top with no problem but certainly not much else.
I am not claiming it's a relic but a civil war battle did occurred in this area. I originally though it may have been a grenade but the shape did not match anything of that era so I am sorta stumpped as to what its from. I also searched a civil war re-ennactors supply web site and again nothing ever came close to this. Again - I am stumpped. :help:
 
Upvote 0
Pewter teapot spout?

Then again... I'm American. What could I possibly know about tea... ::)

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Half of the neck of a wine bottle that split long the seam? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Is the inside burnt? Sort of reminds me of a broken smoking pipe bowl.
 
Upvote 0
Maybe the bottom piece of a stool or leg that fit over the wood. Kinda similiar to the ant trap ones on my hoosier. :icon_scratch:May have had a caster in the other end?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom