Freshwater Pearls

C

Cappy Z.

`Pearls are formed in shellfish. A piece of grit or irritant is slowly coated with a liquid sunstance called aragonite but known as nacre. Layer after layer the pearl grows in size and shape. Like snow flakes, no two are exactly the same. Pearls have a hardness of only 3 on the MOH's scale. This is why they really take a beating when worn as a ring. Washing dishes dissolves the layers over time. They also lose their luster.

Pearls according to legend were once thought to be the tears of the gods.

Here is a nice strand of pearls strewn together to form a beautiful necklace. I bought one just like it for only $5.00 at a second hand store. With a little silver cleaner and gentle cleaning..the wife loves it.

Attachments

• freshwaterpearls7.jpg
    freshwaterpearls7.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 242

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived at the Mississippi River for 10 years, untill recently. I saw a few good pearls come in off the river with the clammers. Recent restrictions on clamming reduced the allure.

Nice string.

TimC

Upvote 0

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for freshwater mussels. They produce pearls, too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

Shortstack said:
Look for freshwater mussels. They produce pearls, too.
Alot of people used to look down on fresh water pearls. But salt water pearls have the same rating of 3 on the MOH's scale and really are NOT more beautiful than any other given fresh water pearl. I think it has to do with artistic expression, innate beauty, and marketing. If Tiffany's started marketed freshwater pearls..people would buy them on name recognition alone. Anyway, my wife LOVES pearls!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions