Friday's 2 Boxes of Halves

Here is this week's take:

Box 1:
1 90%
2 40%
1 roughed up 2007 S Clad Proof

Box 2:
Skunk

So i went to one of my dump banks today to unload a really small amount. They wanted to charge me fees and they didn't even know how much! Their manager was on lunch so they weren't sure. They said I could deposit it and then when they figure the fees out they will deduct it. I told them I wanted to close my account. I have a checking account, investment account and a credit card with Chase. They told me to sit down and wait for this guy until he gets off the phone. I sit down and wait a little bit and this guy is just shooting the breeze, talking about what he is going to do this weekend and just talking really casually. I got really annoyed and I left. I drove down the street like 6 minutes to another chase bank that took my halves no problem.

I'm going to call back and talk to the manager by phone and if he gives me attitude or is being a punk, I'll call corporate.

Even though I'm only 23 years old and a poor college student that doesn't work, I still have over 1k in my checking account and 6k+ in my investment account and a credit card I've had since I was 18.

I was a washington mutual member since I was like 9. I'm getting married soon and my fiance has an account at wells fargo, if all the branches start doing this, I will just go there or shop around for a new bank.

Oh and another branch of chase about 30 minutes away, gladly takes my halves, they even gave me bags so I didn't have to roll them. They know exactly what I'm doling and don't care. Sadly, I can only go there once a week.

Hopefully next weeks boxes will produce more! The most I've ever gotten from 2 boxes is 1 90% and 2 40%. I hope my average goes up! (it's hard out here in the west!)

Oh, a random bank I stop in by sometimes gave me $30 of $2 bills. I took them but they are just worth face value. She asked me if I was a collector and I said yeah and she offered them to me. Hopefully she will have something better the next time I come by!

HH and hope silver keeps going up,

Alan

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Friday's 2 Boxes of Halves

alanlee87 said:
So i went to one of my dump banks today to unload a really small amount. They wanted to charge me fees and they didn't even know how much! Their manager was on lunch so they weren't sure. They said I could deposit it and then when they figure the fees out they will deduct it. I told them I wanted to close my account. I have a checking account, investment account and a credit card with Chase. They told me to sit down and wait for this guy until he gets off the phone. I sit down and wait a little bit and this guy is just shooting the breeze, talking about what he is going to do this weekend and just talking really casually. I got really annoyed and I left. I drove down the street like 6 minutes to another chase bank that took my halves no problem.

I'm going to call back and talk to the manager by phone and if he gives me attitude or is being a punk, I'll call corporate.

Even though I'm only 23 years old and a poor college student that doesn't work, I still have over 1k in my checking account and 6k+ in my investment account and a credit card I've had since I was 18.

I was a washington mutual member since I was like 9. I'm getting married soon and my fiance has an account at wells fargo, if all the branches start doing this, I will just go there or shop around for a new bank.

Oh and another branch of chase about 30 minutes away, gladly takes my halves, they even gave me bags so I didn't have to roll them. They know exactly what I'm doling and don't care. Sadly, I can only go there once a week.

Hopefully next weeks boxes will produce more! The most I've ever gotten from 2 boxes is 1 90% and 2 40%. I hope my average goes up! (it's hard out here in the west!)

Oh, a random bank I stop in by sometimes gave me $30 of $2 bills. I took them but they are just worth face value. She asked me if I was a collector and I said yeah and she offered them to me. Hopefully she will have something better the next time I come by!

HH and hope silver keeps going up,

Alan

I don't see what you're getting upset about. Sure, it sucks that your dump bank may start charging you, but they have every right to if they wish. They certainly don't "owe" you that, or any service for free. They could charge a $10 admission fee at the door if they wanted to. Your $7000 or so in that bank might as well be $1.05. That isn't even close to enough money to get special treatment. I understand you've been with them a long time, but I think loyalty died out in the 50's and 60's. For better or worse, its now, "What have you done for me lately?" Many banks have already began to charge fees. Many more will in the future. The days of free CRH may be numbered.

My own bank that I have been with since I was your age or younger (Regions) sent me a new fee schedule a few days ago. Starting March 1, the minimum balance to avoid a monthly service charge on checking accounts is going up from $500 to $1000. In fact there were several new things that would no longer be free. The one that caught my eye was 'coin deposits', and I believe it was a 10% fee for those. Not 100% sure as I just quit reading there knowing I was closing my account.

And thats my point. While the bank has the right to charge you for any little service they provide, you have the right to close and move that account elsewhere. If the other branches will do it for free then let them. If not, simply find a bank that will and move ALL your accounts there.

I'll be closing my account at Regions. I do have enough that I would avoid the monthly service charge, but since they are no longer going to support my CRH, I choose to no longer support them. I'm putting all of my money into my best dump and buy banks. Seems to me that is the way it should be. We as CRHers should strongly support those banks that support our hobby. Especially now with so many banks either refusing to let CRHers buy/dump, or charging fees to do so.

OP
OP
A

alanlee87

Greenie
Feb 4, 2011
Re: Friday's 2 Boxes of Halves

I guess you're right!

Just the obstacles we need to go through to get our silver!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread