What's new

Ft Wallace Museum - Kansas - worth the trip

LukeTHr

Full Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2005
Messages
198
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a trip to the museum at Wallace Kansas today with my family and a detecting friend and wanted to share it with you folks. If you ever get the opportunity to travel thru western Kansas and have the time, I want to encourage you to make a visit to the Ft Wallace museum. It is truly a gem and well worth seeing. They have many artifacts on display from the area and a large part of their collection came thru the efforts of one very hard working relic hunter by the name of Floris Weiser. Everytime I stop there and look thru his displays, I am always in awe of the sheer number of and quality of his finds. He began detecting in the mid 1970's and has found an astounding number of sites and artifacts. I would be thrilled to find a US buckle. a pair of crossed sabers, or a set of shoulder scales... he found them by the dozens. The pictures I am posting will give you a taste of what he has found and a bit of what other sights are to be seen at the museum

the museum website can be found here. http://ftwallace.com/
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4550.webp
    IMG_4550.webp
    47.3 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_4552.webp
    IMG_4552.webp
    39.1 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_4553.webp
    IMG_4553.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4554.webp
    IMG_4554.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_4560.webp
    IMG_4560.webp
    48.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4561.webp
    IMG_4561.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4565.webp
    IMG_4565.webp
    36.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4584.webp
    IMG_4584.webp
    21 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4585.webp
    IMG_4585.webp
    43.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_4587.webp
    IMG_4587.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4589.webp
    IMG_4589.webp
    56.1 KB · Views: 199
let me know what ya think of his finds if you would please.
 
Luke, thanx for posting the pix. Great story and great pix! During travels I too have stopped at various site-museums around the USA, only to find that they too sometimes have displays of items found in the ground (either by archies, or by hobbyists/relic-hunters who've donated them). And of course, those are always my favorite part of any museum.

I docent at one of the CA missions, which has an entire display of items unearthed during some reconstruction phases back in the 1940s and '50s (they had the presence of mind to stop the bulldozers and take some time to sift dirt, etc....). Buttons, coins, square nails, etc.... My favorite part of the musuem displays :)
 
Wow ! I would like to go see that. I recently found a small brass bugel hat insignia like the ones in the case. I also found several other things that I see in the cases. Very cool ! Thanks for sharing your pictures.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom