FUGIO CENT UPDATE: THE GRADING VERDICT IS IN!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As promised...I am providing everyone who has been watching this thread with an update on my Fugio cent. The coin is on route back to me as I type this...

Here is some info from an e-mail from ANACS:

Date Denom Grade Variety Superlative
1787 1C VF FUGIO K-4E BR

The variety is also known as a Newman 4E...which I believe some posters suggested.

Redbook value is I believe around $2000.00 U.S...of course it would never fetch that at auction...but it beats a $50.00 coin!

Thanks everyone for your interest and comments on this coin. Certainly my best coin find to date! The second best being a very rare blacksmith token.

not on Canadian soil at least!

I escaped the house again today, but only for an hour...I was actually out trying to help out a guy that wanted some tips and tricks on collecting indian artifacts and arrowheads. He wanted pointers on what to look for and where to look.

I figured I would go along, help out where I can, and maybe find an arrowhead or two...

we hit a little plateau near the river. The field had JUST been plowed, and not rained on yet...so visibility sucked, and I wasn't expecting to find much.

As I walked up the crest of a little knoll, I noticed a piece of glass...then another....about 4 in total...then there it was, laying flat on the surface....and I knew from 10 feet away it was a coin. However, I didn't know what it was, as it was caked with dirt and crust. I put it in my pocket and decided to wait to clean it up and home and check it out.

Over the next little bit I found two nice old flat buttons, one pewter, crusty, but I can make out a design. The other silver plated.

Anyhow, I was shocked when I got it home and cleaned it up. I knew instantly what I had, as these coins are hard not to recognize. The first American penny ever made :) I'm pumped! I am not sure if it is damaged, or if it was perhaps a die flaw??? It doesn't really seem like later damage to me.

Again, these finds were eyeballed in a field where not much was showing as it hasn't been rained on yet. I can't wait to get back there with my detector and see what I can find!!

Upvote 0
Re: I never thought I would find one of these!!!!

Wow, a Fugio cent.

*Gulp* It sure looks real.

Good for you, and way to go!

Don't be so surprised about where you found it...you live in a pretty old part of the country, MD'ing-wise.

Beautiful coin!
Keep us posted on what else comes out of that spot!

Congrats.

Ridley

Wow never seen one of those before. Great find

I hope to be able to find one that nice HH

Wess - That's an awsome find. Keep us posted on any other finds you uncover there. Sounds like you might have yourself a hot spot.

HH
Neal

Super find...and in great shape too...
i see an 1787 with club rays listed in the redbook..rays have rounded ends.....
SUPER FIND AND KEEP US UPDATED ON WHAT ELSE YOU FIND AT THIS PLACE!!!!!

Thanks for all the comments, links, info etc. Much appreciated!

There certainly are a ton of variations of this coin. From what I can tell mine is common...but I am no expert.

Can't wait to get back with the detector...maybe there is another in the dirt out there. I will keep you posted!

Wess

Congratulations Wess, looks like a great coin and in good condition to. I'm not familiar with your coins but from the other comments i know you have made a great find.

;) Raoul

WOW.
What a find and by eyeballin' no less ;D
Just wait till you get out there with the md.
Keep us posted.

That is really a wonderful find. Think about all the hours you have spent swinging a detector and then to eyeball, what surely must be your best coin find,in a field where you werent even looking for coins. The planets have truly lined up for you,better hunt that place to death,HH...Shoot

Very cool finds. Keep us informed if you find anything else there.

oh wow! :o That's one coin I hope to find someday. Congratulations!

Excellent Wess,
I cant wait to see what else you find at that site either. Hurry up and get back there!

trade you a bank of Canada half penny ;D

Great find in great condition. ;D ;D

Wow, imagine if you had your detector?!

Go get the rest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back