Full day nets wheats, tokens, ring and stirrup

moholedigger

Mar 15, 2008
Mexico, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
*****MODIFIED*******
One of the three pennies that were to dirty to ID turned out to be an 1891 IH. The other three are wheats (1915, 1916, 1921) and two I still can't see. Need to buy more peroxide.

Wow, it's amazing how bad your right wrist and back can hurt after one day of detecting. Today, that pain found its way to me.

Headed out planning on hitting a church and house that had been nice to my step-son (1907 Liberty Dime and a 192? Wheat Penny). To my dismay, it was pretty well grown up already. Man, amazin' what a little rain will do. It was fine 6 days ago.

So what to do. Well, from my research I knew that an old post office (and possibly a trading post) had been across the highway, but where exactly I had no idea. So, off I went to get permission to hunt the site. In talking to the landowner, he kind of sorta gave me some directions to the post office (up near a nest of cedar trees). Needless to say there were a couple of different groups of cedar trees. So, I took my best guess and started next to an open, unplanted as yet, field. I've been at it for about 30 minutes (if pulling junk iron out of a field qualifies for "at it") when a guy stops out at the highway and comes over to ask how (and what) I'm doing. He hears the story and says the cedars might be on down the frontage a little bit. He remembered seeing a long, narrow foundation setting well back in the woods. He never knew what it was. BINGO! That is the post office (Unfortunately, I never found it). So off I go, and sure enough up top of the hill is about five cedar trees with a rock foundation. Not the post office and unfortuantely the brush is THICK. I tried my luck for about three hours and came up with a stirrup, a piece of an old wood stove and a couple of nails and a spent .22 casing. Hmm, you could see the rocks scattered about that used to be the foundation. This building, teh trading post, isn't on any of the old maps (back to 1889), but it is mentioned in an old history. The post office was built between 1889 and 1918. But it was torn down before 1960.

Anyway, I broke for lunch and went and showed the landownder what I had found (as promised). I ask about some other ground (a nearby school that was town down) and BINGO, he owned it, too (and help tear it down in the 1960's). So after lunch I went back and hit this open field hard. Six wheats (only one in the pic, the other five are in potatoes), two (or three?) tax tokens, another interesting.. token?, and all kinds of junk iron. I also found a ring.. lol. Okay it is a "Bambi" ring from Walt Disney, BUT ITS STILL A RING! Three hours into this site I had to pull of relic and go to coins on my XLT cause it was taking wayyyy to long.

Bad news, i had to quit after five hours (8-1/2 hours total) cause my batteries were dead.
More good news... as I'm hunting a neighbor comes by and says he had an old house on his property that he tore down in the early 70's. Says it was at LEAST 100 years old and that they have found alot of pottery shards every time the plow the area. So, I have another site to hunt sometime soon. Then the landowner came down to talk to all of us and he has two other house sites I can hunt. YIPEE!

Okay, here is what you are looking at. First "token" says "J&PF, No. 4," on one side and "Good for 5c in Ade" on the other (poss a letter in front of the "a" is where the hole is). ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS?

Next, Feels like a token, is about the right size of a token and appears to have a BIG "1" on one side. The other side I can't read but I'm pretty sure this is a Missouri tax token.

Next two are both Missouri tax tokens of some sort.

And finally.. one of the Wheats, a 1945 it appears.

Well, hope everyone else is having some fun ouyt there. Good luck and HH!

Attachments

• TodaysFinds.jpg
    TodaysFinds.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 364
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Great story and finds.............................................................Note...pack more batteries! :wink:

DugHoles

Bronze Member
May 23, 2005
Hudson Falls, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT---Tinytec Ultraluxe probe
What Gypsyheart said........plus........loosen up that grip on the detector..... :thumbsup:

Nice finds there....hope you had fun

Cheers!

Dugholes :laughing7:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder u are tired today!! Great hunt!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread