What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Fungus today

Blackfoot58

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2023
Messages
6,191
Reaction score
15,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Morels are the only ones I trust myself to harvest. I saw this guy today. Photo of the belly/gills too. Any help with ID appreciated. 👍🏼
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2308.webp
    IMG_2308.webp
    782.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2309.webp
    IMG_2309.webp
    673.4 KB · Views: 66
With the proviso that no-one should take advice on the edibility of mushrooms based on a couple of photographs, least of all from me (LOL), I would say it’s an Elm Oyster Mushroom (Hypsizygus ulmarius).

Those are edible and distinguished from other oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus genus) by the fact that the gills terminate at the junction with the stem. That’s what I see in the second picture. On other oysters, the gills run continuously into the stem without a clear termination.
 
Upvote 2
With the proviso that no-one should take advice on the edibility of mushrooms based on a couple of photographs, least of all from me (LOL), I would say it’s an Elm Oyster Mushroom (Hypsizygus ulmarius).

Those are edible and distinguished from other oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus genus) by the fact that the gills terminate at the junction with the stem. That’s what I see in the second picture. On other oysters, the gills run continuously into the stem without a clear termination.
Thanks. It is a big fresh, fleshy one. I’m not going to eat it without being certain.
 
Upvote 1
I see them too, never dove in...not a lot of elms left here.

For some reason we see lots of the parasitic Lobster Mushroom. They are wonderful to eat... they turn your scrambled or fried eggs pink!

Did someone say morels😝

Rocks and mushrooms👍

vfm
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6681.webp
    IMG_6681.webp
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6683.webp
    IMG_6683.webp
    739 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4439.webp
    IMG_4439.webp
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4457.webp
    IMG_4457.webp
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
Upvote 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom