39.1 KB · Views: 757
  • funny lincoln 002.JPG
    funny lincoln 002.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 786
  • funny lincoln 001.JPG
    funny lincoln 001.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 776
Upvote 0
These were done after the coin left the mint. I believe that was popular in the 70s... but it's just a novelty and not really worth any premium. Still neat though!

I found one years ago,that had the state of texas where Kennedeys head is .

PikesPeakCharlie said:

not meaning to get the Lincoln/Kennedy topic off track, but I remember the state counter-stamped pennies (as well as the Lincoln/Kennedy ones) being sold at the Woolworth store. Just a novelty to get your money... you know, "collect them all" type of deal.

I believe it's worth 2 cents...for the copper content! lol Neat though...never saw one.

jewelerguy said:
PikesPeakCharlie said:

not meaning to get the Lincoln/Kennedy topic off track, but I remember the state counter-stamped pennies (as well as the Lincoln/Kennedy ones) being sold at the Woolworth store. Just a novelty to get your money... you know, "collect them all" type of deal.

I've got a few of those Kennedy pennies. Always thought they were kinda cool.
I also have the whole state set, with a display board. ;D Didn't know where they came from, my folks gave 'em to me back in the '70's, when I was a young'n.

The reason why Kennedy,s head was stamped on facing lincoln was because of the simularities in their deaths. Their was also a paper that came with the noveltie penny to show all the simularities.

There used to be ads for these in magazines (esp. Reader's Digest) all the time back in the day, and as Jim D mentioned they came with a paper that outlined all the similarities between their deaths--also mentioned in the ads. Stuff like their names had the same number of letters, their killers' names had the same number of letters, their birthdates or some other dates could be rearranged to match--pretty silly really, but a cool find nonetheless!!

Here's a list of the coincidences that's very similar if not identical to what I remember from the ads. (yeah, I know, hard to read. sorry, but not my site :wink: )

http://theshadowlands.net/jfk.htm

edit: looks like banks gave them away also http://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/2005/08/lincoln_kennedy.php

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back