What's new

fur trade era iron straps thingys- more pieces

scratcher

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
463
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
I found some more of these straps and thought I'd give this a whirl again in What Is It with all the pieces. This is from a site producing objects from approx. 1750 to early 1800's. Was never a homesite, but early military trail and fur trade indian area. Was not likely farming related. The attached L shape pieces swivel at their attachments. Any guesses?
 

Attachments

  • ironstraps 001.webp
    ironstraps 001.webp
    97.3 KB · Views: 299
  • ironstraps 002.webp
    ironstraps 002.webp
    94.9 KB · Views: 301
  • ironstraps 003.webp
    ironstraps 003.webp
    95.9 KB · Views: 335
  • ironstraps 004.webp
    ironstraps 004.webp
    109.1 KB · Views: 297
  • ironstraps 005.webp
    ironstraps 005.webp
    109.7 KB · Views: 308
I think those are part of a pack saddle frame
 
Upvote 0
PBK said:
Maybe trunk lid hinges?

Agree. Small dome-top box lid hardware.

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Creskol, this is very interesting. Would fit the time frame perfectly (the riveted design, apparently blacksmith made, etc.). Can you elaborate, or know of someone with pictures? Thanks for all the input so far, guys.
 
Upvote 0
scratcher said:
Creskol, this is very interesting. Would fit the time frame perfectly (the riveted design, apparently blacksmith made, etc.). Can you elaborate, or know of someone with pictures? Thanks for all the input so far, guys.

There were all sorts of pac saddles, and some didn't even have a metal framework. Although it doesn't match yours exactly, I have attached a pack frame that will give you the general idea. This one does not show any attachment devices like are like the ones you have, but most of them were added by the user as needed. I will look through some of my books this evening to see if I can come up with a more definitive match.
 

Attachments

  • frame.webp
    frame.webp
    158.3 KB · Views: 266
Upvote 0
packs
 

Attachments

  • phillips pack saddle.webp
    phillips pack saddle.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 265
  • pack.webp
    pack.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 225
  • pak.webp
    pak.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0
Due to the fact that the rivets appear to have mounted in something approx 3/8 inch the pack idea makes sense. This would keep things light if it was wood. I thought of the trunk-type hinge also but couldn't make out how they would work...
 
Upvote 0
part of a gambrel for hanging and skinning large animals?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom