Fur Trappers Gold

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think this is talking about South Dakota....Someone let me know if I am wrong.....

What was believed to have been the making of a trading post in the early part of the 1800s, was located 11 miles north, 2 miles east, of Huron, at the James River bridge, and ¼ mile north out in the pasture at the bend of the river to the west. It was an amazing rock-outlined site. The largest outline was laid out as an oblong. The Northeast corner rock wall was three feet high. The northwest corner was set in and a 32 ft. square rock-outline indicated the site of a building structure. Across the incline, up to the structure, was a 10 ft. square dugout with rock sides which could have been a cool area for supplies needing to be preserved. According to a 1985, survey of the Lake Byron pump storage project taken by the Archeology Laboratory of the Center for Western Studies, Augustana College , Sioux Falls , the pipeline was in a direct route of three woodland mounds and the above mentioned rock outlines.
We actively requested that these historically significant sites be bypassed by the water pipeline from the James River to Lake Byron .
The report indicated that these sites were “potentially eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. If the sites and a suitable buffer zone can not be avoided then further evaluation was recommended.” To ensure that none of the sites were disturbed the route was rerouted. As a result further archeological studies were not pursued. Since that time the “rock-outline” and other evidence of an early trading post (historically significant site) has been virtually destroyed.
Fur trading began coming to a close around 1835 to1836, when the Belgians began making and selling the new fad styles in hats and caps made of this new abundant commodity from China , SILK. The exporting commerce to Europe coming to an end was causing a lot of grief to everyone because most everyone was connected to the fur trade economy.
In 1961, an Old Timer told about a legend of two trappers in early times, around 1835, who picked a spot on the south side of Stony Run Creek close to where the dam is now located, 1 mile south of Huron. The trappers built a small dug out with tree branches and sod for a roof. These were not comfortable living quarters for two scrubby trappers and trapping would barely support one trapper, let alone two hungry grown men.
Tempers flared and one day one of the trappers shot and killed the other. The survivor then buried the other. The silver and gold coins, and other goods they had just received from the sale of their trapping efforts, were then put in a leather pouch and buried near the dug out for safe keeping. A few days later, while placing and checking traps on Stony Run Creek close to where it enters the James River , he accidentally shot himself when he fell, while dealing with a floating tree on the Jim River . The tree was tangled in his steel trap chains. The silver and gold coins were never found

http://at008.k12.sd.us/articles heartland_region_of_the.htm

pronghorn

Jan 7, 2008
I don't mean to sound too skeptical but, if you murdered your buddy and buried him,
and buried gold and silver, would you tell anyone? If you didn't tell anyone and
you accidentally killed yourself, how would the story get spread? Just me wondering, not saying it isn't an accurate "legend". :)

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
pronghorn said:
I don't mean to sound too skeptical but, if you murdered your buddy and buried him,
and buried gold and silver, would you tell anyone? If you didn't tell anyone and
you accidentally killed yourself, how would the story get spread? Just me wondering, not saying it isn't an accurate "legend". :)
LOL
I always think that way too....I just wonder if he confessed on his deathbead or if this is by speculation

RockRaven

Jan 19, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X80, Magnum 420, 220, RM6, Coin Mag, 77B, Yukon Nugget, Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Gold. Master Hunter ADS 7, CXII, Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro 220, TR550, 840 Auto , Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A simple assumption would be that the situation of the two trappers was known. Also known was that they had just received a large payment, then both passed away in quick succession. With the money as the object of search, the second trapper's grave was found due to following the turned earth,! but the money was never found nor spent, therefore it must have been buried. Good hunting!

MW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread