What's new

Gainey tool info

TForan

Tenderfoot
Joined
Feb 5, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
21
Golden Thread
0
.Hello
First post. Years ago I had a mining operation about 1.5 miles north of the original Gainey site. I found this tool and wondered if it had any value beyond a keepsake. 4.5 x 2 inches.
Thanks a ton for any help.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0583.webp
    IMG_0583.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0581.webp
    IMG_0581.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 115
Upvote 0
Very interesting artifact. The Gainey site actually is regarded as a culture site maybe Clovis but distinct enough to be classified a little differently. Fluted blades are similar to Clovis and possibly just a localized Clovis variant. Gainey culture tools are found all around the Great Lakes region. I have no knowledge of the local lithics but like Clovis, the Gainey culture used high grade materials as yours seems to be. As for value it is not fluted and may be from a later culture. I would definitely keep it as the monetary value would not be great. Here is a Gainey fluted blade found on Ohio and reworked probably by a later culture into a knife.
Screenshot_20260205-181052_Chrome.webp
 
Very interesting artifact. The Gainey site actually is regarded as a culture site maybe Clovis but distinct enough to be classified a little differently. Fluted blades are similar to Clovis and possibly just a localized Clovis variant. Gainey culture tools are found all around the Great Lakes region. I have no knowledge of the local lithics but like Clovis, the Gainey culture used high grade materials as yours seems to be. As for value it is not fluted and may be from a later culture. I would definitely keep it as the monetary value would not be great. Here is a Gainey fluted blade found on Ohio and reworked probably by a later culture into a knife.
View attachment 2243494
Thank you. I got a lot of info from Grok. It also has an indentation for your thumb. It feels amazing in your hand.
 
The indentation for your thumb is just a result of the reduction flaking used to make the blade. Ancient tools were not made with thumb or finger grooves or places to grip. Your tool most likely at on time had a handle made of wood with has long since rotted away.
 
The indentation for your thumb is just a result of the reduction flaking used to make the blade. Ancient tools were not made with thumb or finger grooves or places to grip. Your tool most likely at on time had a handle made of wood with has long since rotted away.
Ok, but it fits the hand perfectly .
 
you would be surprised... pick up any rock and see....
 
Don Simons , who began and named the Gainey site agreed with me. I might listen to Don.
Go ahead, but it's your hand that fits not the tool. Ol Don's probably just a nice guy!😚
 
Don Simons , who began and named the Gainey site agreed with me. I might listen to Don.

Go ahead, but it's your hand that fits not the tool. Ol Don's probably just a nice guy!😚
Obviously you don’t know the background of Mr Simons . Maybe a little research before making ridiculous statements.
 
The material appears to be very nice quality Upper Mercer, but the form doesn't indicate a specific culture, but I'd guess early to mid-archaic. And I agree, Don Simmons is very highly regarded in the archaeological world.
 
The indentation for your thumb is just a result of the reduction flaking used to make the blade. Ancient tools were not made with thumb or finger grooves or places to grip. Your tool most likely at on time had a handle made of wood with has long since rotted away.
That's not correct. Thumbs scrapers(which some call hair pullers) and Paleo flake blades(which all are not paleo) are both made to fit your hand.
 
That's not correct. Thumbs scrapers(which some call hair pullers) and Paleo flake blades(which all are not paleo) are both made to fit your hand.
I disagree but it's certainly not a big deal. I believe it's the hand that fits, but anything is possible.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom