Gap between Corrigans and Rio Mar sites

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Gap between Corrigan's and Rio Mar sites

I am going to be staying at Sebastian Inlet State Park for a few days later this month. Is it legal to detect in the water in the gap between the Corrigan's and Rio Mar wreck sites? I understand the 50 year law. Is there a lease I don't know about? Just thought it might be fun to get my feet wet and do a little shallow water hunting--legally.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Re: Gap between Corrigan's and Rio Mar sites

I think that whole area is under the Fisher/Brisban leases. If you do go in the water, it would definetly cause a stir, and the police could be there in minutes. I wouldnt try.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hobbit said:
I am going to be staying at Sebastian Inlet State Park for a few days later this month. Is it legal to detect in the water in the gap between the Corrigan's and Rio Mar wreck sites? I understand the 50 year law. Is there a lease I don't know about? Just thought it might be fun to get my feet wet and do a little shallow water hunting--legally.

I thought that was an HRD lease area?
The general rule I was told years ago is that there isn't a stretch of FL beach that isn't under a lease..
Now that might have been true in the 70's and 80's.... ;D

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

AU is correct, the nearshore "gap" between Corrigans and Rio Mar is under lease to Historical Research & Development, Inc. (quite possibly the longest exploration lease in history :tongue3: )

As a side note, that same lease area also covers the offshore, outside areas from Corrigans all the way to Rio Mar. A most interesting place.

Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread