garage sale find! stained glass candle holder?

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I packed a trunk load of stuff at a yardsale for $5. I got some cool mantiques that are going in my collection.
I also got 4 of these lanterns that id like to find out more about. 1 is broken and also a jade horse was in there and a marble chariot with horses and a Trojan on there.
I heard they use to use gold to get pink colors in glass. You guys think these are worth something?

Upvote 0

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pictures would be great, would like to see them. No one can guess a value without a picture.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to tell with out pictures. Sounds like a good deal, all of that for 5 bucks.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry folks I couldnt get pictures up on my mobile cell so I had to email it to myself to upload.
Here is the candle holder in questions, I have 3 good ones And I think I want to sell them all for maybe around $50 if thats a good deal for them?
The outside of the glass is smooth but the inside is coarse and lumpy FB_IMG_1440721910024.jpg 20150827_161821.jpg

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Hard to tell how old they are from your picture, they look possibly 1920s...but could also be from the 70s when "Tiffany" lamps were back in vogue. The glass and metal both don't seem that old to me - the specific texture of the glass (machine made), the grey/tin color of the metal (vs. copper or bronze) and the quality of the soldering are tip offs to me that these might be more modern. If there are four pieces, I'm guessing these are shades off of a ceiling fixture. If someone wanted them to restore a fixture, they would probably want all four, as the glass could easily be replaced in the damaged one. I think $50 is high, unless you find someone looking for these exact shades to restore or repair a fixture.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hard to guesstimate, they look like some in Home Depot you can buy today. The glass looks like the modern stuff they use for bathroom windows a lot to let light in but no eyes. My guess is way more modern than antique.

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took them to an antique shop, said im looking to sell these for $10 ea. maybe I under shot because she paid me so fast and gave me a jewelers loop and her business card and told me to bring her more like this. I kept one for my mommy lol. They are lamp shades for for the floor lamps that arch upside down

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, I think you did well on a quick turn sale, and also made a connection for future items. I recognize that Algebra 2 book, same one my son is using!

OP
OP
K

kitt

Sep 1, 2012
Brookings Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go, I think you did well on a quick turn sale, and also made a connection for future items. I recognize that Algebra 2 book, same one my son is using!

Hey the book is for sale as well, Its in great condition. $25+shipping its yours

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread