What's new

Garbage In. Garbage Out.

I remember a guy that took people on back country excursions. He said he'd watch his clients begin to read the ingredients on food packs. Seems they just couldn't shut off the need for worthless information. Like not being to shut down brain activity. Maybe it's time for meditation.
 
i realized that one weeks pay for me just covers our "entertainment" bills..ie.. internet, cable, cellphones, dinning out and what not.

Kind of sad, huh?

If I eliminated all of our entertainment and tech expenses, I could easily afford to buy a brand new 'Vette. However, then I'd wind up being a media-less sad sack with a Corvette and nobody to show off to.
 
When I was around 12 or so, my favorite thing to do was to take my fishing pole and my boy scout backpack and go into the woods for a few days all by myself. My great-grandmother gave me a small, old cast iron pan, and I would tie that to my pack with a piece of rawhide. With a piece of salt pork wrapped in wax paper, and my pan I could catch little trouts and cook them up for supper. We never thought of giardia or anything like that. If you saw fresh water and you were thirsty, you drank it. I ate wild berries and trout and panfish and loved it. I was Tom Sawyer. I was Daniel Boone.

Higgy,

At least annually I make it a point to trek out with my haversack containing loose gunpowder tea and some rice or parched corn and supplement with whatever I can catch, shoot or clobber. Sometimes it's tea and rice, but it may be roast squirrel or rabbit, a few fried perch or rotisserie grouse.

Does a body good to make a fire without a lighter or matches and kill with a wood arrow or flintlock.
HPIM2767.webp

HPIM2765.webp

We raise our own chicken and turkeys (eggs and meat) and sheep (wool and meat) and I homebrew and enjoy "natural" preserving like making sauerkraut and pickling. And of course the gardens.

And my "fishing boat" has a gaff rig and tanbark sail.
 
Last edited:
Higgy,

At least annually I make it a point to trek out with my haversack containing loose gunpowder tea and some rice or parched corn and supplement with whatever I can catch, shoot or clobber. Sometimes it's tea and rice, but it may be roast squirrel or rabbit, a few fried perch or rotisserie grouse.

Does a body good to make a fire without a lighter or matches and kill with a wood arrow or flintlock.
View attachment 1127413

View attachment 1127414

We raise our own chicken and turkeys (eggs and meat) and sheep (wool and meat) and I homebrew and enjoy "natural" preserving like making sauerkraut and pickling. And of course the gardens.

And my "fishing boat" has a gaff rig and tanbark sail.

The term purist comes to mind Charlie, and in a very good way.
 
Higgy,

At least annually I make it a point to trek out with my haversack containing loose gunpowder tea and some rice or parched corn and supplement with whatever I can catch, shoot or clobber. Sometimes it's tea and rice, but it may be roast squirrel or rabbit, a few fried perch or rotisserie grouse.

Does a body good to make a fire without a lighter or matches and kill with a wood arrow or flintlock.
View attachment 1127413

View attachment 1127414

We raise our own chicken and turkeys (eggs and meat) and sheep (wool and meat) and I homebrew and enjoy "natural" preserving like making sauerkraut and pickling. And of course the gardens.

And my "fishing boat" has a gaff rig and tanbark sail.

Now you're talking! Squirrel in the pot with some dandelion greens! You must be a true buckskinner. I think everyone would benefit from some time in the peace of the woods.
 
Charlie the posting brings back memories of the pack of boys and the going ons at the trappers cabin when there was just good clean fun. Sportsman/chum/export tobacco, collection of ammo from the fathers ammo, collection of veggies from somebody's garden or root cellar, and anything that flew, walked, swam could find it's way into the stew/soup pot on the stove. We were brought up with the beliefs of if you shoot/catch/trap it you eat it. There was no trophy hunting it was just for life experiences in growing up and thinking back it all seemed second nature for us to being doing this. For those that have never had a squirrel with greens, pepper corns, rock salt, potato, carrot, onion hasn't been living.
 
Great picture of you Charlie...
 
Kim and I have a rule. I put my phone up and shut the ringer off when she gets home. I have a friend who is a relationship counselor. It really hit me when he asked me one time how much time I spend truly focused on my partner with zero distractions. Actually giving her the attention and respect that she deserves. Not half listening while I'm watching tv or looking at the iPad. It was basically zero. It made me feel pretty crappy about myself that I was so damn distracted and I wasn't being the best partner I could be. So we made some changes. Now when Kim gets home I give her a warm welcome with a hug and a kiss. She's manages a bank so I let her tell me about her day and unwind. She's one of those people that needs to do that. I'm just the opposite. When I get home I don't even want to think about work. We often will cook dinner together now and we always eat together at the table. Not with the tv on in the background or with cel phones beside us. Eating a good meal together at the table was something very important to my mom. She also had a nightly dinner ritual called "good things". Everybody at the table told the others one nice thing they did for another person that day. It really makes you aware of those around you that could use a hand and makes you more accountable. It feels good to say "hey I saw a lady with a flat tire and I changed it for her". Or whatever it might be. I'll stop rambling now but I've learned in the last few years that every moment that passes us by we never get back. Make the time with your loved ones special. Make them feel like they're the only people on earth and that everything they say is important. Recognize every good thing that they do. Give lots of hugs and kisses and tell them you love them all the time. This stuff is important. You don't want to wake up someday when you're 88 years old thinking that you wasted these years because you were too preoccupied with work, money, or whatever the distraction was. Your family and loved ones are way more important than any of it. Ok I promise I'll shut up now lol

Very true... I had that really driven home to me last week with the passing of my daughter and grandson.
 
A lot of good things posted in this thread. Charlie P, your expeditions into the woods are good for the soul. Sometimes we just need to reconnect.
 
Very true... I had that really driven home to me last week with the passing of my daughter and grandson.

Oh my word I am so sorry to hear that. I have no words as I can't imagine what you are going through. I will be thinking about you my friend.
 
I hear ya Higgy (and I love your avatar BTW). It's funny (not really) that I was just on the cusp of tech when I graduated college. Back in the '80's things were different... I was - eh, no matter what I went to school for. I became a chef- a cook. And again, at the time, little need - and little access to technology. And I was too busy...cooking. Recently, I had the chance to get my pal's iphone 5 for free and upgrade my (evil) Verizon plan to @ 120.00$ for a low-end amount of data. I didn't do it. I have a convoy flip phone and a decent computer- which is enough. When I moved to VA, I decided not to hook up TV. It wasn't hard at first because I was actually living in an Airstream and teaching at a cool perma-culture school. Thing is, I remain non-TV even now that I'm in a nice house with the easy availability...

I came from a bad house,job,relationship where I sank my whole self into TV and internet (escape). It ate my soul. I was lost in cyber ether for about 3 years. I lost my identity. My only connection to something beyond the screen were my trips out to hunt for artifacts. My social skills dwindled to nothing. And there are good people out there- to talk to-- face to face! Who knew? I spend my life in a kitchen where you wouldn't know if a bomb dropped or ten feet of snow fell until you go home 10-12 hours later... and then there's the screen of death.

Not any more. I went cold turkey. I have internet- but I'm not into social media- even though I tried. I just don't dig it. It's a hollow straw-man social scene where you can be, say and do just about anything w/o really doing it. No consequences.... well unless you're posting photos, er, um.. not into that either- except for artifacts and rock and fossils ;) And here's something interesting too. I've found that there's a whole generation of kids (I don't even know the age) who (I think) rely on apps for all their information. So when they post something and want an answer- they don't even use the incredible technology that exists to look up answers, solutions. It amazes me how there's such a lack of investigative curiosity- and I blame it on apps. Because there isn't an app for a brain. Or logic. Or common sense.

So now I have the radio and my DVDs-- which goes back to my youth when there was always music in the house- which provoked singing- and dancing (and battles over what music to listen to...) And there are books. I read a ton of book now- which are cheep as chips at thrift stores. I'm so far behind that it doesn't matter if I'm reading the latest 'thing'. And as far as research goes, the internet is amazing- if you really spend some time figuring out the fluff from the meat. I only miss TV when I feel like kicking back and watching a movie. But that's okay for now. I'll probably get TV again- or Netflicks at some point. But right now it pulls me out of my isolated shell- to be actually engaged in the world.

Understand too, that my favorite vacation is up in Maine on a tiny little island on a lake w/ no electricity and an outhouse. Bad cell. Utter quiet. No electric buzz all the time in the background. It's bliss. And beautiful. And inexpensive (important to me right now)

I think the thing is to really go cold-turkey. Just send your gadgets away to a friend- to keep for 4-6 months. Choose one thing- like a computer. Give yourself a timer. Make it hard. No easy-access, hand-held stuff. Learn how to read a map. Challenge yourself. I like (love) CharlieP's post, but I can't start a fire w/o a match (yet), and I'm no hunter- tho I can fish. And I can sure as heck can cook something w/ very little. That's my life right there- so that's not hard. I just can't go full bore. Suffice it to say- there is an in-between. And you can do this. The short-term gratification of a thumbs-up or a 'like' does not define who you are. Making mistakes is the best way to understand how to succeed. Taking away restaurant reviews and the gps makes you take chances. Life becomes interesting and daring. If you're on this forum, on this board, you're able to do this. You just have to do it. If your job doesn't depend on it and it won't interrupt your life in a crucial way, do it. You will find out more about yourself and the ones you love than any other single thing could do. And all you need to do is trust that you're good enough w/o it. Then, at the end of the day, you'll know what you really need as far as gadgets goes-- and what's just overkill or fluff.

I admire your post. Thanks for reading my very long-winded response. Yakker
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom