What's new

Garden in winter

delnorter

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
920
Reaction score
2,341
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Below is a shot of my garden area and cabin covered in snow. Quite a difference from the photos I posted last summer of the same area. I’m still digging nice carrots and beets. Snow here on the coast,in the redwood region, is pretty rare.
AE6B9E38-E8A9-4CD4-985E-A637FB25E31E.webp

Here is a picture of a spruce tree in the pasture out back. What’s unique about it is; it’s not real tall or old, but the limbs are truly amazing. The tree is probably about 80’ tall, but the lower limbs must be 40’ to 50’ long. The longest limbs I’ve ever seen. On the left is a young stand of cedars, to the right are redwood stump shoots.
3438D78F-D23B-4740-8498-E3BC5F9DF490.webp

Stay warm my friends,
Mike
 
Below is a shot of my garden area and cabin covered in snow. Quite a difference from the photos I posted last summer of the same area. I’m still digging nice carrots and beets. Snow here on the coast,in the redwood region, is pretty rare.
View attachment 2070978
Here is a picture of a spruce tree in the pasture out back. What’s unique about it is; it’s not real tall or old, but the limbs are truly amazing. The tree is probably about 80’ tall, but the lower limbs must be 40’ to 50’ long. The longest limbs I’ve ever seen. On the left is a young stand of cedars, to the right are redwood stump shoots.
View attachment 2070982
Stay warm my friends,
Mike
Here's that same spruce this evening after a day of snow. Limbs are much lower.
IMG_0316.webp
 
Below is a shot of my garden area and cabin covered in snow. Quite a difference from the photos I posted last summer of the same area. I’m still digging nice carrots and beets. Snow here on the coast,in the redwood region, is pretty rare.
View attachment 2070978
Here is a picture of a spruce tree in the pasture out back. What’s unique about it is; it’s not real tall or old, but the limbs are truly amazing. The tree is probably about 80’ tall, but the lower limbs must be 40’ to 50’ long. The longest limbs I’ve ever seen. On the left is a young stand of cedars, to the right are redwood stump shoots.
View attachment 2070982
Stay warm my friends,
Mike
Beautiful Norway spruce
We have several also.
Always a nice sight
Stay warm
 

Attachments

  • 21785891-DE2C-4462-847C-99F387A58B80.webp
    21785891-DE2C-4462-847C-99F387A58B80.webp
    453.7 KB · Views: 51
Hi Bill, good to hear from you. The photo of the spruce in the pasture is a Sitka Spruce. The common native spruce along the northern pacific coast.

In this area (Del Norte County) we have another very rare species of spruce. It’s the Brewers Spruce, of the local Siskiyou Mountains. The only small place in this country in which it grows. Very unusual looking the way the branches droop low.
Mike
 
Mike
Thanks for sharing the information on the trees
I hope to visit California one day
Bill
 
Shot of my winter garden for ya Mike.
Tomato's,cabbage,bokchoi,carrot, broccoli,onion,garlic,beets.

My outside garden isn't doin very good this year, to many bugs last fall hoppers did me in..
Thankfull to have green house I can control pest easier...
Be planting my spring garden outside in a week or so...
Have good day .
Gt...


20230228_121008.webp
 
Wow, just fantastic Herb. A lot of good food there. That’s my kind of space. Thanks for the photos Herb.
show more as the outside one progresses.
Mike
 
Will do that Mike
Hoping to geter tilled this week, I'm still puney from the pneumonia.
Operating the 50 year old Troy built horse model is a little scary.
Might be behind planting a week or so..
Better than running over myself with out of control horse.....
Herb
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom