Garnets at Greens Farm in Connecticut

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I've heard it.. along with several other gem mines and mining operations.. Sad times are upon us. We must find way to help these mines stay open.. thou many feel that (and its been astigmatiusm for several years) that mines or road side attractions as some are called are losing faith and not suppling good products tot he customers. IE the owners of said operations are only suppling "left overs" to the public thus taking the best stuff for themselves.. If one wants to run one of these operations.. they need to keep an open mind allowing all to benifit from these products.

Last Min Follow up:
Just befor I was going to log out for the day.. I thought about what you said and what I said.. One must realize that this is a hobby (mining the stones/crystal etc) but many continue to view this as a source of income lively hood if you will.. When times are slow their hobby suffers.. One thing anyone should be aware of when entering these types of hobbys or collecting.. meaning collecting anything not just minerals etc.. That its a labor of love and money shouldnt be a factor..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ben Cartwright SASS

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup, it is not the money. I had never been to Green's but had planned to go this year to see what I could find. I have been gold prospecting in NH and it CERTAINLY isn't the money! I have found a few pennies worth of gold, maybe a couple bucks, but the cost of the 3 hour each way trip and the campground, and equipement I have spent many hundreds of dollars to find it.
BUT it is the fun, and the thrill of finding things. One year I kept track of all that I found with my metal detector and the time I spent, I made about 35 cents an hour, that was before gas and batteries (after those I lost about a dollar an hour)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread