Garrett ACE 250 ringing like a slot machine...need help

deep6

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Conway, SC
Detector(s) used
Brinkman - they make a mean BBQ, too!
Hi folks,
My new (less than a week old) ACE 250 is giving rapid signals pinging and signaling all over the place. I believe it's in the cable connection at some point. I've gone through all the basics, checking the coil for tinfoil and minerals, changing the batteries, moving to another location, removing the headphones (man that machine is deafening w/o them), I can set it on the ground and walk away from it while it pings like a madman. The only thing that temporarily stops it is powering down, removing and reseating the cable. Sometimes it's better while being a little snug and sometimes while hand tight. I've also found tapping on the barrel of the cable will give a few pings as well. What's the deal? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for any help.

deep6

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you have a problem that will need factory attention. Uh....you're not doing this inside with a concrete slab floor are you? Rebars in the floor will do exactly the same thing. Just a guess. Just sent my 2500 in for repairs and it took 9 days turnaround. They are very good. Look up Garrett detectors and they will have shipping info on their website. Monty

OP
OP
deep6

deep6

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Conway, SC
Detector(s) used
This was occuring while out in the field. There was nothing to set it off...it would even pinpoint the sky. The cable remove/install "fix" seems to work for a while but this has happened 3 or 4 times within two days of serious MD time usually when just starting to hit a new location (cable bumping around during transit?). I'm leaning towards the cable plug being the culprit vs the socket on the unit. I guess I'll have to let Garrett figure it out. Thanks for the input.

deep6

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
It sounds like the sensitivity too high for your soil conditions. Bump your sens down until it runs smooth. I have read where some soil can't take more than 4 bars. Then some people in other areas can run it full blast. It's better to have a stable machine seeing 4 inches in the ground than an unstable one trying to see 6 inches plus.

WinnGoldDigger

Feb 24, 2007
Central Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
My Ace 250 also did that when the batteries got low, but only when it was 3/4 drained. Also, you stated that you changed the batteries out, so I'm sure you put new batteries in. Good luck.

OP
OP
deep6

deep6

Greenie
Jan 3, 2007
Conway, SC
Detector(s) used
Re: Garrett ACE 250 ringing like a slot machine...UPDATE

Finally, sent the Ace to Garrett. It was the coil that gave me such a hard time. Great folks to deal with and great service.

deep6

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread