Garrett American S2 with Groundhog coplanar coil - question

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi, it's me again with the Garrett American S2.

I realize that this is old stuff, but perhaps it's an oldie but goodie, more work, but decent once I've mastered it.

This detector came equipped with a Garrett Groundhog coplanar coil when I bought it used a few weeks ago for $50. I didn't realize that this wasn't the original coil when I bought it. My impression is that the coil may be a step up from the original coil, whatever that was.

My question: Is the Groundhog coplanar coil compatible with the American S2, or are there possible complications that I should be aware of?

Thanks! It's too cold to detect here, or I'd be out doing that instead of pondering.

Attachments

• detector.jpg
    detector.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,418
  • coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,076
  • detector.jpg
    detector.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • coil.jpg
    coil.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 712

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
2 things to say: 1) that IS the original coil for ALL Garrett coin machines of that era. Unless I'm somehow mistaken that certainly looks like the coil they were sold with. Sure, you could swap betwen coil sizes, but the innards were all the same, if I'm not mistaken. 2) that is an dinasour, totally out-done by anything on the market today. You've got a machine 25+ yrs. old technology (if not 30 yrs. old). Ok if you've got an "easy-pickens" area. But if you've got competition, and will be following behind others, you'll be left behind.

Good for its time, but quickly out-classed in the techno-revolutions of the early 1980s.

Gotrek

Nov 26, 2008
American owners unite :) I have a Garret American S1 looks exactly like yours and Same coil.

I agree with the discrimiation settings enabled you'll miss stuff the new guys find but with it turned off I've been finding tons of stuff others have missed. I'm also digging up 2000x more junk though.

Just started using mine though so wrong guy for advice and now the ground is frozen, I've always just used it for constuction clean up (nails and rivets)

OP
OP
jsandin

jsandin

Nov 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replies!

At this point I figure I'll max out the sensitivity and just dig everything it finds, until I reach a point where I can't take it anymore, and by that time I'll either have given up detecting or will be more certain about what to upgrade to.

I finally shortened the stem to the point where it doesn't wrench the muscles in my forearm. I was getting worried about that. I'm not crazy about the grip.

Gotrek

Nov 26, 2008
Manual on mine says the coil is water prrof (not the housing though) so go nuts in the water too. Found lots of goodies in the water at our beach.

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jsandin said:
Hi, it's me again with the Garrett American S2.

I realize that this is old stuff, but perhaps it's an oldie but goodie, more work, but decent once I've mastered it.

This detector came equipped with a Garrett Groundhog coplanar coil when I bought it used a few weeks ago for $50. I didn't realize that this wasn't the original coil when I bought it. My impression is that the coil may be a step up from the original coil, whatever that was.

My question: Is the Groundhog coplanar coil compatible with the American S2, or are there possible complications that I should be aware of?

Thanks! It's too cold to detect here, or I'd be out doing that instead of pondering.

I had the Garretts ADS detectors from the 1982-84 era.
The machines are still useful, especially if you use NO DISCRIMINATION, and dig every object. which I end up doing anyway to avoid missing rings and jewelry.

ks4ww

Feb 4, 2011
GEORGETOWN
Detector(s) used
Garrett S2 Bounty hunter Landstar
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one these S2 and have found lots of coins a gold class ring have the same coil as you have plus I bought a sniper coil a 4 inch coil for finding coins in the park I have even found my brothers lost car keys under 4 inches of snow this detector was made in 1982 I use mine as much as I can I bought it for 30 dollars it has paid for it's self four times over it may be old but it finds what I am looking for HH from John in Georgetown ky

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread