Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to get a 2nd job, actually my old night job, security guard, I just reapplied last night and my state license is still valid. I had 2 full time jobs for years (I'm an insomniac), but when I bought everything that I wanted, I quit the night job. Now I want to buy 2 more detectors. I like my Ace 250, but I want something that will go deeper, and I want a beach detector and go into the water (Minelab Excalibur II). It would take quite awhile to save up the money without it. But with a second job, it would just take 2 or 3 months.

I read that the Explorer SE Premium operates in multi frequency and the Garrett operates in single frequency. I also heard that the Minelab will show you the continuity of an object to help you determine what it is.

I have seen the Minelab in action, I saw a guy pull up 10+ Mercs just following behind me and my Ace 250 with the 9x12 coil. He was accurately detecting a a depth of 12-15 inches!!! He showed me targets that I missed, and he showed me false targets, he dug them up and sure enough it was right.

I am thinking I like the continuity scale because at the boy scout site, there is a ton of aluminium foil that registers as a solid dime with the Ace. He instantly knew it was foil, and dug it up just to show me.

What do you recommend??? And if you can, give reasons for your replies.

I want to buy this and have it for a good long time. Thanks for your input.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They called me back this morning and we talked. They are going to check my background from the last time I worked for them to see if I had any bad marks on my record. I don't think that I have any negative. They are supposed to call me back today or tomorrow, if all works out, they asked if I could start on Monday!!!! Ijust want to get the 2 metal detectors, a GPS, and a AK-47. Then I will quit again. LOL

Skinny Puppy

Sep 14, 2006
Mt Carmel, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Garrett GTI 2500Pro or Minelab Explorer SE ??? Im tryin to get my 2nd job ag

Hey there, I live in Des Plaines and I just got an Minelab SE. I have a White's DFX and the SE is really a totally different animal. I just got it yesterday and hit my back yard where I opened up my discrimination to wide open on my DFX. In the past my yard has been an iron nail infested area and I thought it was hunted out with the DFX. I kept getting interference from power lines and the airport. I break out the SE for an hour and its ignoring the iron next to good targets. No EMI interference issues either. I'm finding wheaties all over again since my house was built in 1929. I have never found silver on my property but i haven't searched it all out yet. I'd say get the SE over the GTI or get the Excalibur and hunt by sound. They both ignore iron and go deep. I'm going to fabricate a waterproof case for my SE this summer. You could save some money by getting a Explorer II instead. Same thing....some Minelab users prefer it over the SE. I don't know if I can make it out Sunday to Bombers get together, but I'll try.

BTW,

Cell = 847-627-0037 Patrick

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have both a GTI 2500 and a Minelab SE and in my opinion, for hunting coins (deep coins) go with the SE. much better in the depth department. the Garrett is lighter, great at discriminating shallower targets (to about 6 inches), and has a faster recovery time. its also easier to learn, and will go deep in true all metal. its just that i could never get used to using it in all metal. The SE is deeper in both discrim and in all metal but it has a steeper learning curve ( but also has more flexability), and can be a little tricky to pin point with ( it uses a DD coil). both are nice, but i prefer the SE.

Goio

Sep 15, 2003
All over!!!
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, E-Trac, Excalibur II
Hey Treasufiend,

You have been killing us with that ACE250 already! which ever detector you go with, you'll do great!!

Good luck.

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jjjjjeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,now he'll really kill us :D :D

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
If I had the money I'd do the SE as well. Minelabs just have that great reputation for going deep. We've seen it. You know there's really no question. I'm doing the M6 because it's a great coin machine, and although it won't go as deep as the Minelab, it's still a killer detector from Whites' Matrix series at half the cost of the Minelab. It's very similar to the MXT which I like very much as well. If I won the lottery the Minelab would be my first choice.

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread