Garrett Infinium

Willy

Yup, it's waterproof. What I did with mine was to cut the end off the land headphones & make a pigtail adapter, enabling me to use any headphones. I still have the water ones for diving. As for comparisons.. you'll be digging junk that you wouldn't with the 1280x, but also have the ability to leave some large iron in situ. One thing to think about is that some of the most successful hunters "dig it all". If you decide to go that route... the Infinium is possibly the better unit. ..Willy.

Visionquest

Aug 2, 2005
Thats exactly what I did Willy. The pigtail is an easy thing to rig up. well worth the time. The waterproof headphones can be ordered from other companies than Garrett as well, Detectorpro will put the Garrett waterproof connector on thier phones if you ask them as I am sure other brands would.

OP
OP
E

Earl

Sep 16, 2004
Visionquest, to answer your question, I live in south central Oregon 16 miles east of a little town called Christmas Valley. I am about 112 miles southeast from Bend Oregon. Alkali desert. I had a tesoro golden micro max and it didn't work for beans out here. Needless to say I sold it. I have a tesoro gold machine called a gold demon and it gives me some depth out here. I picked up a used whites 5500/D series 3 detector off ebay and it works great but again with all the mineralization it limits your depth even with ground balance capabilities. I was thinking about a whites dfx or minelab explorer but again these are vlf machines and I don't think they will do much beter out here than the whites I already have so why spend the extra money. That is why i am interested in the Garrett Infinium. It sounds like a great machine. Thanks for the input. Earl

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi,

I had an Infinium, but I traded it in. Learning the unit was fairly easy. The reverse discrimination worked as advertised. It does go deep. As far as the noise goes, using a combination of sensitivity and discrimination can get rid of all the noise you may want to tune out. I never had cause to use the frequency adjustment. There were three things that kind of bugged me...the pinpointing was not as exact as some of the other detectors I've used and took some practice, the fade rate was very slow (took a long time for a target tone to disappear) and, something that no one seems to mention, is that it is a motion mode detector, not a non-motion mode detector. In other words, you have to sweep the coil to get the tones (hi-lo or lo-hi). Most PI's are non-motion, so I guess it is kind of a hybrid. If I had a lot of mineralization to deal with, I probably would have kept it, but I don't. It is a fine machine, but my area and my preferences/tastes in metal detectors were best served by other units. Just my 2 cents...

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Garrett Infinium,,Thanks

I guess I will stay with my Fisher Impulse..It has really did well..Have found thousands of dollars in yen and the rings too! In water I think I want a non motion detection pulse and just get the junk and good finds.
Anyone here compare with the fishers?
Oh One more thing Impulse will make your batteries last forever!

Attachments

• IMGA0008.JPG
    IMGA0008.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 686
  • IMGA0008.JPG
    IMGA0008.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 685

flagold

Aug 3, 2004
I have a Fisher Impulse with the big coil. Many hours underwater with that unit and many finds. Now my 3rd favorite machine, behind the Infinium and Sea Hunter (it's actually tied with the Sea Hunter). You're right about the batteries, they'll last forever (a trademark of Fisher units).

The Infinium will go much deeper (even with the smaller mono coil). Underwater, it's like having a Minelab 2200D in your hands (it will find things to deep to dig). It has its faults: the shaft must be damped down, in salt water the unit must be "detuned" (set the discriminator to 3-5 (lowest you can get away with). The Infinium was designed as a nugget hunter, and as such, a detuned Infinium is still extremely sensitive and powerful. The unit is one you have to learn, someone above said "It is for the Pro treasure hunter " and that is exactly right. The scan speed is very slow, the pinpointing can be difficult to learn (on the big coil you do it by going up and down over the target to center the heel of the center spoke over your find - on the small coil, flip it on its side and pinpoint with the edge of the coil usually works well). What I like about the Infinium over the Impulse (and Sea Hunter) at this point is I'm frequently time challenged and the Infinium gives me the option of hunting for just gold (dig the high/low tones).

The above said -- keep that Impulse as I will mine! Much of the gold below was found with the Impulse (and SeaHunter):

Image216.gif

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and nice chain! :o

Same here...This is all impulse..I just got a good CZ20 on ebay and we will see how that goes... Zero in on that cold with the tone ID!
Thanks and good luck this summer!

Attachments

• IMGA0046.JPG
    IMGA0046.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 578

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,