Garrett Pinpointer - Orange vs. Black? Is an XP MI-4 a better choice?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Folks,
I haven't purchased a new pinpointer in about 15 years. I have two of the original old school black ones from Garrett. Yes, they still work.
I'm going to be giving one of them to a young man in the Navy that is on a budget and just getting into detecting.
So I want to get a new pinpointer and was looking at the Garrett orange AT "carrot" for about $127 - vs- the black Pro Pointer ll for $110.
Question:
Why would someone choose the black over the orange when the orange offers so many more features and can go under water?

It's only a $17 difference.
Any issues with the "carrot"?

UPDATE:
Sorry, I didn't realize that there was a specific "Pinpointers" forum on Tnet before I posted this.
I was reading a post on there and saw numerous complaints by numerous members with issues with the Garrett "carrot".
What do you folks who us the XP MI-4 think of that pinpointer?
I saw a lot of great reviews on it.

Thanks for any input.
-MM-

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garretts with that up the shaft detection is what takes them all off the list. I will go with those tip only detection pin pointers which is a true pin pointer and not an area detector.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garretts with that up the shaft detection is what takes them all off the list. I will go with those tip only detection pin pointers which is a true pin pointer and not an area detector.
That’s some great input. Thank you.
Which Garrett do you use?

aShardOfHistory

Oct 14, 2023
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deus 2
OK Folks,
I haven't purchased a new pinpointer in about 15 years. I have two of the original old school black ones from Garrett. Yes, they still work.
I'm going to be giving one of them to a young man in the Navy that is on a budget and just getting into detecting.
So I want to get a new pinpointer and was looking at the Garrett orange AT "carrot" for about $127 - vs- the black Pro Pointer ll for $110.
Question:
Why would someone choose the black over the orange when the orange offers so many more features and can go under water?

It's only a $17 difference.
Any issues with the "carrot"?

UPDATE:
Sorry, I didn't realize that there was a specific "Pinpointers" forum on Tnet before I posted this.
I was reading a post on there and saw numerous complaints by numerous members with issues with the Garrett "carrot".
What do you folks who us the XP MI-4 think of that pinpointer?
I saw a lot of great reviews on it.

Thanks for any input.
-MM-
Would say consider your detector or if you’re thinking to upgrade your main detector.

Such as the MI-6 (not the 4) connects to the deus and works with the headphones. I assume other detectors have similar features?

I can’t say anything more helpful since I own a mi6 and a nokta pulsedive (both have been dropped, encased in mud and washed in a wheelbarrow with no issues)

Good Luck with whatever you chose tho!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The black ones had issues, the orange never has. Owned the orange one for 8 yrs.
The M1-6 Deus is great, I don't like audio noise, so the wireless works great as I hear it only.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I love my Fisher F-Pulse. It is pulse induction and hits 4 inch coins. The Carrot I owned lost depth, which never ever was near 4 inches. The Carrot wasn't disappointing but it was easy for me to sell it to a friend getting into the hobby. I have the best of two worlds. I carry the Whites TRX(no longer made) and the F-Pulse, I get tip only pinpoint with the TRX, and 360 degrees with the F-Pulse.

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the Garrett carrot and the Mine Lab Pro 35. I had too many issues chasing signals with both. Maybe user error, but to me it was falsing. I bit the bullet and bought an XP MI-6. Never looked back. Even though I never bought the Deus 2, the pinpointer has been awesome. No more chasing signals.

Oh, I only used the carrot and the Pro-35 for a few months.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the two I have now. Not sure how old the one with the white printing is, but I’ve had it since I started detecting about 15 years ago. It too has been abused in many conditions, but not under water. Rain and snow, yes.
It’s still working fine to this day. Knock on wood.

Attachments

• IMG_4548.jpeg
    IMG_4548.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the XP MI 4, I just do not care for it. Have been using Garretts for a number of years. I carry both, the Garrett Black & Orange. Why two pinpointers on my belt? I use the carrot first, I have it set on max, reaches about 4" I guess from the surface, if no signal, might be a good thing, the target is deeper. If I have a hole and the target sounds off, but I cannot tell from what side of the hole, high or low, but it must be somewhere in the side of the hole somewhere, but with the "carrot", the whole shaft being sensitive, I then switch to the "black" garret, it operates pretty much tip only, and then can really narrow it down, the target location that is. No matter what others might say etc., it works for me really well. I have also tried a minelab pinpointer, did not really care for it either. If I could buy only one, I would go for the orange,(waterproof)

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the XP MI 4, I just do not care for it. Have been using Garretts for a number of years. I carry both, the Garrett Black & Orange. Why two pinpointers on my belt? I use the carrot first, I have it set on max, reaches about 4" I guess from the surface, if no signal, might be a good thing, the target is deeper. If I have a hole and the target sounds off, but I cannot tell from what side of the hole, high or low, but it must be somewhere in the side of the hole somewhere, but with the "carrot", the whole shaft being sensitive, I then switch to the "black" garret, it operates pretty much tip only, and then can really narrow it down, the target location that is. No matter what others might say etc., it works for me really well. I have also tried a minelab pinpointer, did not really care for it either. If I could buy only one, I would go for the orange,(waterproof)
Thanks for that great input SPR.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After using the xterra and nokta i thought the XPs sounded horrible, but even the pinpointer settings can be changed into the beeping style
Everything takes time to learn and switching from one to another there's a learning curve.
I found the Deus 1/2 different from the previous 4 Minelabs.
But after 6 yrs on them sounds normal.
I never had any issues with the PP sound.
I like stealth for everything.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have both the Garrett Pro II and the Garrett carrot. As you know, the "carrot" is waterproof and submersible to 10' whereas the Pro II is merely weatherproof and you must put your finger over the speaker when washing it. But if I'm detecting on land specifically, I like using the Pro II over the "carrot". Call me picky but I love how the Pro II turns on & off as soon as you press the button whereas the "carrot" has a momentary delay before those functions. Other than that, they both work extremely well and are my go-to pinpointers.

OP
OP
ModernMiner

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok Folks,
Thank you all for the input. I’ve decided to give the orange carrot a try. I have to see what all the hype is about. I like that underwater feature.

Last edited:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had a lot of Garrets over the last (15) years or so - (4) or (5) Black and (3) Orange.
The on/off buttons fell out of two of my Black ones - sent in for repair - the Orange on/off button are much better.
They both false a lot - (even when ground balanced) had turn them on and off again countless times.
Sold them all.

Now I have (2) XP MI-6's - much, much better quality.
If I was you I'd consider getting a MI-4 or MI-6.

Good Hunting !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread