What's new

Garrett Vortex VX9

tomtector

Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
88
Golden Thread
0
Location
East central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious if anyone wants to share their experience with the Vortex, pros/cons, etc.
Thinking about getting a VX9; On sale now for $480.

Thanks!
 
Curious if anyone wants to share their experience with the Vortex, pros/cons, etc.
Thinking about getting a VX9; On sale now for $480.

Thanks!
I know there is a slew of problems with the software; wondering if most has been rectified.
 
I had a Vortex VX9, don't waste the money. You can get a Minelab Elite or a Nokta Triple score with extra for close to the same price. I am the guy that "found" and videoed the software problem. The last update improved but did not fix the problem.
 
I have had a VX9 since last fall. I like it. It is much more effective on salt water beach than my AT Max. Two weeks ago, I took it to a playground where I pulled 124 coins in under 3 hours.
 
I have had a VX9 since last fall. I like it. It is much more effective on salt water beach than my AT Max. Two weeks ago, I took it to a playground where I pulled 124 coins in under 3 hours.
Holy crap! 👍
 
I know there is a slew of problems with the software; wondering if most has been rectified.
Looks like Version VX9.09 has almost corrected major problems I.e. large signal lock up and erasing custom program when the detector is turned off. I bit the bullet after my Manticore, I'll just say, went missing. I had bought the Manticore for the 2D display and salt water detecting. A great detector, especially when a solid dot sits on the center line. I owned 17 detectors at one time just a few years ago. I am down a few that each has a "special" environment to be used in. All time go-to for in the salt water is the Excalibur, started back when it was the Sword in 1992. I still have it and use it, hip mounted. The Aquanaut, Infinium, ATX, and then the Manticore. I continually look for a detector with a "improved" display, hence my VX9 purchase. My main hope is for it to be outstanding in finding recently lost jewelry. Large coil, salt water compatible, light weight, turn on and go and visual display of target conductivity. I am not looking for deep silver, I have my 8 reals, 2000 year old Emperor Carus coin, Brasher Doubloon (unfortunatlly made of brass, not gold), etc. Today I hunt for recently lost item to return to the owner. I have over 220 since joining TheRingFinders and over 350 lifetime returns. I am, at 78 years, enjoying making memories for myself to review when I no longer can enjoy the hobby.

Bottom line there is only one "BEST" detector to use at any give time is the one that fits the owner's need, their knowledge of what to expect from the detector, and the enviornment it will be use in.

Just like a wrench, there is no one universal detector.
 
Curious if anyone wants to share their experience with the Vortex, pros/cons, etc.
Thinking about getting a VX9; On sale now for $480.

Thanks!
I have been using the latest version for the last 5 hunts and have no complaints. I originally used "3 tones" and watched one of the guru's recommend "5 tones" for best performance. I quickly adjusted to 5 tones. I have always used the lowest recovery speed for trying to get better depth. I moved it to mid range with no loss of depth and slightly better ability to work in trash.

I mostly hunt public spots that are loaded with modern trash. The Vx 9 handles this trash more accurately than any of the other high end detectors I have used. Even with the big coil, I can isolated good targets in these environments. I have found several old coins with one way signals and so trashy that you have to use the tip or heel of the coil to hear the signal. I have a Legend and Manticore and I like this detector better than either of those detectors. I am patiently waiting for the 5x8 coil and have no doubt that it will perform even better.

I have read all of the critical reviews of this detector. I can find deep coins when they are deep and coins buried in the trash in those conditions. I have no complaints and I only gain confidence with every use.

I cannot seem to "bond" with the Manticore and it has taken me a long time to gain any confidence with it. I started making good finds with the Vortex the very first time I used it. Not nearly as many adjustments help me "not overload" with questions. Something to say for less adjustments. With the Manticore and Deus 11, I am always thinking I have the wrong adjustment set. The Manticore has a user friendly menu, but the Vx9 is even better. Nothing better than having a detector that meets your expectations with being overly complicated. The VX 9 does exactly that for me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom