Gem Collecting, New Venture

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Gem Collecting, New Venture

I am thinking about expanding my search for treasure and look for gems.

I know of two things I need , I am sure I will need other things and don't have a clue.

I got a light today, I need the two black light bulbs for it, two different wave lengths. I need to find them on the net I guess.

I have one book of minerals and rocks. I need another that will give me the colors given off by gems. I need to know where I can get it and the title, would help.

Anyone that bought what I am looking for please let me know where you got it.

Tools I have, I have been prospecting, metal detecting, fossil hunting etc. I have three shaker boxes and 5 gal Buckets, water pump for recirculating water and tub. I have a sluice box that hangs like a swing, it has 75 small riffles Another one is similar and has 27 riffles. Gnewt

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Re: Gem Collecting, New Venture

TT,
That TV program got me fired up, and thank you for all that great info, I had plans for AR in Apr Maybe NC then Az Got the bug out bag ready, trying to buy a 4x4 Pickup. Sold my 2x4 and I miss it. HH Gnewt

Upvote 0

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho

Montana is great for Sapphires. Utah and Wyoming are good for fossils. Emerald Creek here in Idaho is great for Star Garnets.

I usually use the National Audubon Society field guide to rocks and minerals for identifying rock. It's a pretty handy little book filled with information.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White

I have that book, and it is about ten years old now, when I first got it, I studied it, then put it on the shelf. I am going to get it back now and find out how much I still don't know.LOL I have several of those books on other things, good ref. info.
thanks Gnewt

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions