Geography was my favorite subject in school.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got back from a trip to Disney in Orlando yesterday. The plane ride down took a rough over land the whole way going SE almost in a straight line over those states in-between Denver and Orlando. That trip was pretty cloud covered. On the way back I tuned into the flight tracker just after take off and it had a path going back to Denver pretty much the same as coming down to Florida. Then about 20 minutes into the flight the route changed and it was then going to take a path way out over the Gulf of Mexico and enter land at the Mississippi Delta. It took an hour longer going home, but I'm sure they were avoiding a pretty wide band of storms moving across the SE part of the country. I didn't see anything of the Gulf of Mexico as it was completely cloud covered. Then the clouds ended right at the islands of the Louisiana Delta and was clear of clouds all the way from New Orleans to Denver. These are some of the points of interest of our great country I saw from above. Then it fun to read about these places as they all have written history about them from treasure stories of Spanish silver hidden somewhere alone the Sabine River by Jean Laffite or Gold in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma.

Attachments

• 20210329_141020.jpg
    20210329_141020.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210329_151353.jpg
    20210329_151353.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20210329_152400.jpg
    20210329_152400.jpg
    949.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210329_154652.jpg
    20210329_154652.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20210329_161901.jpg
    20210329_161901.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210329_163415.jpg
    20210329_163415.jpg
    538.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210329_164249.jpg
    20210329_164249.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210329_172431.jpg
    20210329_172431.jpg
    611.8 KB · Views: 54

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. In the 'Granite Mounds in Oklahoma' pic (Wichita Mountains) never seen it from the air but I recognized it immediately and double checked it on Google Earth to be sure. You're west of Lawton almost directly over Indiahoma OK. About a third of the way up in the center are two lakes, Post Oak and Treasure Lake. Elk Mountain is just north of those about in the center of the pic. We climbed up the west side of that in 73, which took a while, got to the top and find there was an easy walking trail up the east side. The area in the center of the pic is called Charon's Garden wilderness area, and this is where the most sightings of the Cave with the Iron Door have been reported.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. In the 'Granite Mounds in Oklahoma' pic (Wichita Mountains) never seen it from the air but I recognized it immediately and double checked it on Google Earth to be sure. You're west of Lawton almost directly over Indiahoma OK. About a third of the way up in the center are two lakes, Post Oak and Treasure Lake. Elk Mountain is just north of those about in the center of the pic. We climbed up the west side of that in 73, which took a while, got to the top and find there was an easy walking trail up the east side. The area in the center of the pic is call Charon's Garden wilderness area, and this is where the most sightings of the Cave with the Iron Door have been reported.
I find those geologic features rather interesting way out the in plains of the Midwest. Maybe as much as 20 years ago I was making visits about every 6 weeks to Granite, OK as I was selling rockdrill bits to some French Canadian quarrymen who got a contract to cut the stone for some monument being made from that pink granite.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a cool part of the country. Well, in summer it's hotter than hell. Wichitas are older than the Rockies and my geology professor told us they extended underground all the way out to Amarillo. More treasure stories than you would believe about that area. I think more money is made from quarrying granite than ever came out of the gold rushes there.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a cool part of the country. Well, in summer it's hotter than hell. Wichitas are older than the Rockies and my geology professor told us they extended underground all the way out to Amarillo. More treasure stories than you would believe about that area. I think more money is made from quarrying granite than ever came out of the gold rushes there.
Yeah I did a little research online about how they promoted the lure of gold, by inflated assays values in order to draw in hopeful investors into a town called Wildman. I even ran across a few old photographs of this activity back in the later 19th century. Indeed the demand for dimensional stone was then and is still today the only real treasure found out of those mountains. At one time Salida, Colorado was a major producer of dimensional stone granite.

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool pics, I like to see the different shades of green across the country, spring is “On”..... You must have gotten your windshield fixed, I don’t see any cracks..¿ hahaa, 4-1 humor try.....
I have heard a few stories about back in the day, the Wichitas was one of the last places that cattlemen could go and try and round up “old stock”, stray, or just wild, long horn cattle to add to there own herd and improve the genetics.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's interesting Fat. There sure are a lot of beautiful photos of the Wichita mountains I'm seeing online and many interesting spices of reptiles and birds are also found in the area. It appears to me as maybe a lesser known place of beauty for a nice little getaway someday. I might just take a run out there next fall, as I'll bet it's really pretty that time of the year. No I was just looking out the windshield of my truck yesterday and saying MAN I gotta get that thing replaced. It's got cracks all over it now.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like some thin clouds got in your way...

Surprisingly, I was able to somewhat reduce the cloud effect:

20210329_172431.jpg 20210329_172431-2.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I got back from a trip to Disney in Orlando yesterday. The plane ride down took a rough over land the whole way going SE almost in a straight line over those states in-between Denver and Orlando. That trip was pretty cloud covered. On the way back I tuned into the flight tracker just after take off and it had a path going back to Denver pretty much the same as coming down to Florida. Then about 20 minutes into the flight the route changed and it was then going to take a path way out over the Gulf of Mexico and enter land at the Mississippi Delta. It took an hour longer going home, but I'm sure they were avoiding a pretty wide band of storms moving across the SE part of the country. I didn't see anything of the Gulf of Mexico as it was completely cloud covered. Then the clouds ended right at the islands of the Louisiana Delta and was clear of clouds all the way from New Orleans to Denver. These are some of the points of interest of our great country I saw from above. Then it fun to read about these places as they all have written history about them from treasure stories of Spanish silver hidden somewhere alone the Sabine River by Jean Laffite or Gold in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma.

I had TWO favorite subjects in school,study hall,and,lunch.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a place you should spend some time in, TR. The Gold Belles Mine was south of Wildman, and they built a huge cyanide mill. Foundation is still there, and I've camped by there many times. I don't think they ever really made a run. Supposedly the owner loaded up a shotgun with gold dust and blasted that into the walls of the mine to lure investors in. When they put a state park there, the mine was filled in and a road was put over it. Lot of history there. There was another gold rush in the 1880's in the Wichitas, people forgot about that, so when the prospectors came in in the early 1900's and saw evidence of that, they automatically called them 'old Spanish diggings'. And some might be.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never read anything before about hardrock mining in Oklahoma. I found this little brief history of what all once took place in that episode in a rush for gold. Seems some gold was actually discovered, but like so many gold discoveries during the gold rush period there was mostly a promise of riches through shady dealings. All to often a gold mine will be nothing more than a hole in the ground with a liar standing on top of it... Mark Twain
https://www.okhistory.org/publications/enc/entry.php?entry=GO003

Last edited:

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot wait to soar above the eagles again up there..CDC saying it’s safe to travel now but you should only have gatherings with household members?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot wait to soar above the eagles again up there..CDC saying it’s safe to travel now but you should only have gatherings with household members?
It was a full flight and you have to wear a mask. The Denver Airport looked as busy as always.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread