Geological / Astronomical help requested.

Coinasaurus

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was looking at the moon from google earth app and I found a crevasse on the moon (Now I'm no scientist but I can safely say I've never heard of such geological formation such as this one on the moon.) I know this is probably falling on def ears but I tried to post this to a astronomy forum and they banned me and reason for ban was "troll". But I find it funny how quickly and how thrust someone would be to ban someone for inquiring about something on the moon on an astronomy forum(HMMMGOVERNMENTHMMM). If anyone has any information on this it would greatly appreciated.
mooncave.jpg

Please don't flame me or ban me because i'm not trolling. I have genuine concerns about seeing something like this because I thought geological formations like that can only be caused by either water or something volcanic. I'm posting it here because I do receive legit information about things I inquire about on here. I'm curious to know what you all think about this as well.

P.S. Coordinates of where it can be found on Google Earth at the bottom of the image.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
OP
OP
C

Coinasaurus

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting! I'm going to take an out there guess. My first thought when looking at the pic, was something was on the lens when the pic was taken or something floated in front of the lens. :dontknow:

If you look up those coordinates yourself it's actually 3d imaging that google uses to make their maps of the earth. So I find it hard to believe that it is something on the lens because I can actually rotate the image and upon closer inspection it looks like something you would see here on earth it even has depth to it.

OP
OP
C

Coinasaurus

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure how all that works! lol I'll try to go in and look to better understand. I think it depends on how their imaging is done. That was just a first thought. I'll go check it out!

This stuff interests me!

to find it easier it is located north of the Deseilligny crater just type that in the search (without crater) on Google earth whilst looking at the moon map.

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
My two cents. Also not a geologist nor an astronomer. However, when looking at your photo my gut reaction was...well it does not appear to be a crater with a shadow cast but rather something sticking out of the lunar surface and at the time the image was gathered the moon's position relative to the sun was such that the shadow cast was a lot smaller than if imaged earlier.

I then read along further in your post and you mention something interesting. You thought stuff like this would only be caused by water or something volcanic. This prompted me to simply think about alternate causality theories and a few keystrokes later I came across the geology dept from San Diego State University and their page about volcanic activity and the moon. I have posted the link to the page below...

Here is a quote from the site:

"[SIZE=-1]Each mare is composed of vast sheets of basaltic lava which erupted from the broken crust associated with large impact craters. There is no evidence to suggest that the impact events triggered the volcanic eruptions. However, the fractures associated with large impact craters may have provided easy egress for younger, mantle-derived melts to rise to the surface. In a sense, these extensive lava fields are the lunar equivalents of terrestrial [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]flood basalt provinces[/SIZE]. [SIZE=-1]The maria range in thickness from 1-4 km.[/SIZE]"

What that tells me is while there may not have been lunar generated volcanic activity these impacts from other objects hitting the surface caused volcanic like activity i.e. lava flows, etc. and that as a result of this activity certain larger formations could have risen to the surface similar to the image you asked about.

Again, this may not be in the direction you were asking about but could provide a possibility to what you are seeing.

Here's the website: http://www.geology.sdsu.edu/how_volcanoes_work/moon.html

Last edited:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMG_4705.JPG Here is one of my moon shots, you can see many marks on the surface of the moon. It is not like your pic, I am glad the moon is there to take hits.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think, IMHO, this should be in the "What is it" forum, instead of the "Finds" forum. That said, it looks like a photographic artifact to me. A photographic artifact is an anomaly in the image caused by something that occurred in the photographic or reproduction processes instead of an image of an actual feature on the original subject.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread