Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cwlead said:
Guys does anyone know approximately how much a pound German silver sells for a pound? Thanks in advance
Can't help that way. But "German Silver" is just a marketing word for nickel or a mixture of cheap white metals for making jewelry.

If you want to buy, go to a jewelry supply company that sells sheet stock or casting pellets. I used to make jewelry and bought that type of metal when I was learning.

OP
OP
C

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
The reason I was asking is that a kid had a german silver serving set he wanted to know what it was worth. I finally told him that it was worth more as a colectable than for the silver. he's a scrap metal collector. I just try to help him when I can. In this economy he's having a tough time getting by. thanks for the reply.

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
How do you know its German silver?
Make sure its not older silver thats not marked, lots of of old coin silver peices are not marked.
Mike

OP
OP
C

cwlead

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks guys for all the input. Will phone him and have him bring it over. I have an acid kit will test it for him and see if it's silver.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cwlead said:
Thanks guys for all the input. Will phone him and have him bring it over. I have an acid kit will test it for him and see if it's silver.
If it says german silver then there is no actual silver in it. You can google the term "german silver" and get a better idea of what everyone is talking about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread